Dempster #01201N Main Shaft Rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Dempster #01201N Main Shaft Rebuild

Post by windybob »

You could slip a 1" pipe over the shaft and drive it the rest of the way maybe.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:01 pm You could slip a 1" pipe over the shaft and drive it the rest of the way maybe.
Do u think the spring will keep kicking the washer back? Thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
grezmonki

Post by grezmonki »

I would build it up in the gearbox then put the snoot cap on with 2 pieces of all thread instead of the 2 bolts, compress it with the snoot cap until I could screw the stud in on bottom of the snoot to hold it all together. Then take the snoot cap back off, drive the "binding washer" onto the shaft as far as I need, sheet metal washer, silicone sealer on the end of the snoot cap, felt disc and bolt it up.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

grezmonki wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:46 pm I would build it up in the gearbox then put the snoot cap on with 2 pieces of all thread instead of the 2 bolts, compress it with the snoot cap until I could screw the stud in on bottom of the snoot to hold it all together. Then take the snoot cap back off, drive the "binding washer" onto the shaft as far as I need, sheet metal washer, silicone sealer on the end of the snoot cap, felt disc and bolt it up.
Grez,

How long is the all thread and could you better explain how to compress the spring with the snoot cap on? Do I need put back bearing and pinions on at the same time? Thanks, having hard time picturing what you are explaining. sorry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
grezmonki

Post by grezmonki »

This method I have the shaft with the spiral spacer pined to it. I put it into the gearbox thru the snoot and slip the first pinon gear with key, the spacer sleeve and the bearing cone onto to it . I would push all that towards the bearing cup that's already installed in the center of the gearbox and then keep pushing the shaft thru so I can install the next spacer sleeve, the next pinon gear with key and the nut. Then thru the snoot onto the shaft, I install the spring, and the outer bearing cone and cup. At this point I put 5" allthread pieces into the bolt holes of the gearbox that the snootcap bolts usually go thru and back them up with nuts, I hold the spacer ring(the one that has a section cut out) up to the bearing race and slip the snoot cap onto the all threads. I put nuts onto that end of the all threads and start cinching the cap up with the nuts, each one a little at a time until its fully compressed and I can screw the little stud up into the bottom that will hold the outer bearing race into position.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Ok guys, I finally made a loose vice and compressed the spring back into place on the main shaft. Thank you all for your wisdom and ideas. Now to finish putting all it back together in the gearbox. :D

Grezmonki, thank you for your guideance on using the gearbox to compress the spring. I did try your method but I need more time to get it right. I did something wrong, so I made a loose vice with some old lawnmower blades. I might try it again on my second Dempster. I couldn't have done it without all of u Dempster experts. Thank you so much.

Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
grezmonki

Post by grezmonki »

Good job Jerry. I guess there's always more than one way to skin a cat(apologies to all you cat people out there)!
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Ok, after compressing the spring with the loose vice I let the binding washer cool off and wait for it to shrink in place. But, after it cooled off I now cant get the bearing to spin easily. Plus, when I start twisting the bearing the binding washer pushes forward and I loose the original position of the spring and tension. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

The binding washer should be inside the bearing. Problem solved. Thank me later.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Gee now I'm confused. Put the race on the bearing now, and see what happens.