Heller Aller mainshaft

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Big Job

Heller Aller mainshaft

Post by Big Job »

Short story; at my sons farm one day the wheel found on the ground all bent up. The main shaft snapped
in the area of the shaft seal. So first I will ask here, nothing on ebay or the net. Its a Heller Aller 'Baker"
run in oil /Date of mfg. March 1973. Push comes to shove no choice, to machine one (I have a machine shop)
This week we finished the wheel and painted. Just a guess the shaft is about 2 ft long and a odd diameter
of 1.309 ? don't know we have not removed the mill from the tower yet. All paper work that came with it
is next to useless........thanks Sam
windybob

Re: Heller Aller mainshaft

Post by windybob »

You might take it all apart to make sure what you need to make. On the head is "MOD 8" or something. That's the size of the mill, 6 ft 8 ft etc. I don't remember what the last one I took apart was, but usually ( for the most part) mainshafts in lots of mills are fairly simple, and standard size cold roll. If you take it all apart, you can look at the mainshaft in its entirety and make sure.
Also, as far as I know, the mill has no "bearings" per sae. The iron that shafts run on is heavy on the graphite if I remember.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

When i rebuilt my Heller aller the pinion gears had tapered pins.they could only be knocked out one way
Big Job

Post by Big Job »

Yes tapered pins I have been into these mills in the past....
Todd

Post by Todd »

Is this an oil bath mill or the open frame? Wheel Size 8' or 10'?
Let me know and I should be able to help. Todd
Big Job

Post by Big Job »

HY Todd, its a 8 foot wheel, run in oil, it was delivered March 1973. My only holdup is setting a date when
my two sons are available along with the bucket truck. No way these ole bones going up there lol. Actually machining a shaft is freshman high school easy lesson. And next is the tapered pin, so I will need a tapered reamer, or I just may cut key-ways (shaft & the two gears with set screws) don't know yet till its in the shop.
Anyway one week with hammer & dolly with the wheel all trued up and painted so I saved 7-800 bucks for a new wheel then the shipping cost? Imagine my father bought this whole thing for $750 delivered in 1973.
sam
Todd

Post by Todd »

Good for you! If you need any other parts, let me know...
Big Job

Post by Big Job »

I sure will Todd 'still waiting for some young bloods cause my ole bones no way going up there LOL as far as machining the main shaft, thats high school 101 and then the tapered pins so that calls for a tapered reamer
that I do not have so I think it will be keyways with set screws .......sam
Big Job

Post by Big Job »

No new updates seems both my boys fell off the planet. Guess their life got in the way so. Don't know..sam
windybob

Post by windybob »

That usually happens to me right after I pay my helpers for the week...
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.