Suburban Outfit water tank questions

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
hwy8

Suburban Outfit water tank questions

Post by hwy8 »

IMG_0214.jpeg
I'm starting on my water tank "rebuild"....
I lifted the hoops off beginning at the top and worked my way down: They came off easily because the tank was completely dry after many years of no water but there's no doubt, they would not have budged with water in it! The edges of the staves were in great condition and it was interesting to see that the minerals in the hard water acted to seal the joints, which have only a slight and flat bevel. (I guess I expected a mortise of some sort)
IMG_0468.jpeg
Anyone want to speculate on what the center hole was like when it was on the tower? It looks like a broken pump rod beat it up pretty badly.

I'm wondering if they used a piece of well-pipe flanged onto the floor of the tank and long enough to reach above the water line.

How big of a diameter do I need to run the pump rod through without trouble?

Was there a bushing to center the pump rod?

Any ideas what the flange looked like?

Which of the other holes the inlet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Suburban Outfit water tank questions

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

The bottom of the tank did have a flange on the inside which a pipe screwed on to that ran down into the well.the pump rod ran inside the pipe.im guessing it was a 2inch pipe When removing tank boards number them so they go back together the same way
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

The second hole that is not in the center is where a tube was for the cut-off wire to run. Not sure what the 3rd hole was for; maybe a drain for the tank.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Do I have the wrong idea? I thought the center hole was for the pipe that the pump rod uses; that it is tall enough to not let water flow into it and that it goes into a flange on the bottom of the tank to keep water from flowing out. Basically, the rod moves up and down in/through the tank.

I figured one of the other holes was an inlet pipe coming from the well and the other was a drain going to the barn or house. ???

Could it be that the well-pipe comes out of the ground and keeps going up into the tank?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

The hole in the center is the one with the flange and pipe that went to the well with the pump rod inside it.one of the other holes or both were outlets