One windmill wasn't enough

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Billt

One windmill wasn't enough

Post by Billt »

Finished my first 8' 602 on 21' tower July 16. Now I have aquired my second one. A612 with a 6' fan. It was taken down 45 years ago and put on a building and never put up. Is missing a few little parts but 99% complete. Looks like about a 48' or so tower.
Does have a little play in the bearing and am wondering how much is acceptable. Want to make it right the first time. Will be asking questions on this forum as received lots of help on my first one. Will post some pics as I proceed with my new project. Bill
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: One windmill wasn't enough

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

From experience i would do new bearings this way your sure it won't weap any oil if done right.im not familiar with 612. I know the 602s are a little tough to pour.either way it's easier to do it now before you put it up and then find out if leaks
Billt

Post by Billt »

I don't have any info on a 612 in my paperwork. Hope someone can give me some information on a 612. When I unloaded it I thought it was a 602 but A612 is cast in the housing. It doesn't have a pipe plug on the nose either.
Last edited by Billt on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windcatcher530 Dan

I was told the Amish are very good at pouring bearings and reasonable if your not sure you can do it
Billt

Post by Billt »

Here is one of the repairs needed. Can this be bent back cold or should it be heated up? Also a few bent girts. Sould they be heated or not? Thanks for any advise with this. Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Try to straighten them with out heat.a torch will burn the galvanize off and they'll rust.if you have to heat them repaint them with a good galvanize product
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've found that the flat straightens pretty easy. Bent angle iron is where it gets tough.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's right Wayne.
That's easily straightened. Grind off the rivets if you wish, it's even easier. Replace them with bolts and nuts and lock washers.
I'm guessing that you do have an anvil.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Or even the saw horse that has the tail leaning against for the photo op.
In the UP there are lots of large blocks of wood that make a great anvil for straightening windmill parts.
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Windcatcher530 Dan

20210909_094052.jpg
this stuff works great for touching up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.