One windmill wasn't enough

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
mtblah

Re: One windmill wasn't enough

Post by mtblah »

Bill, this type of block is used for a multitude of jobs !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Billt

Post by Billt »

Got it straightened enough for the girls I go with. Next is one bent sail
Going to trace curve on block of hardwood and hammer straight. Thanks for advice. Found out the 612 was only made for one month in 1925. Had oil leak issues and was discontinued. Ivan said to only put 1 qt. Of oil in it. He has been a great help for me and is close..100 miles. Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Tail looks good and yes Ivan is a aermoter guru.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Funny, I recently picked up an A612 as well.

When looking at the "improvements" in the oil return one has to wonder what them boys were thinking. Obviously they were trying to get rid of oil scraper, but the way they have the oil return sitting on the side (its just barely below the bottom of the shaft) I cannot imagine oil not getting into the hub and leaking down. In 1925 they would have had 9yrs of real world experience with the 602 oiling system, the writing should have been on the wall that it was a good system.
Thanks,
Ed
Billt

Post by Billt »

Made a wooden pattern with the curve of a straight sail. Worked great. Also straightened some of the v-rods. Wish it wasn't so late on year, would like to get it up. Could have snow and cold here in a month.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Are you going to keep the tower that taii or shorten it. And yes I live in N.Y.winter is just around the corner.
Billt

Post by Billt »

Dan, no I am going to shorten it. Not sure how it will work out. Leg parts are about 14' long and there is 3 sections. Hope I can just use the top 2 sections but will have to see how it works out. I do have a few more pieces of tower legs from my first purchase.
Windcatcher530 Dan

If you use the top two sections that will give you about a 30ft tower. Find a nice flat spot just doing one side start at the top and work down I found this easiest.The X pieces are most important make sure there's enough of them.Hope it works out