Dempster #01201N Main Shaft Removal

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
JBarker

Dempster #01201N Main Shaft Removal

Post by JBarker »

Any suggestions on removing my main shaft from the motor? It seems to be stuck in front of the snout. I have used the back nut to move the back bearing some but the front collar seems to keep the front bearing and shaft to move any more forward. The shaft turns ok. Help!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
windybob

Re: Dempster #01201N Main Shaft Removal

Post by windybob »

Make sure the setscrew is out of the snout from underneath. Take off rear castle nut, and pinion if possible. Put an attachment on the front of the shaft to put a chain around. Chain the back of the head to a tree. Pull the shaft out with a pickup, car or forklift.

This is what I do on these kind. I don't recommend you doing it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:13 pm Make sure the setscrew is out of the snout from underneath. Take off rear castle nut, and pinion if possible. Put an attachment on the front of the shaft to put a chain around. Chain the back of the head to a tree. Pull the shaft out with a pickup, car or forklift.

This is what I do on these kind. I don't recommend you doing it.
Set screw out already. Thanks will try ur recommendations tomorrow windy.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

Suit yourself. Never broke a case doing it yet.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Dave Straub

Post by Dave Straub »

I don't recommend the tree method The bearing race is stuck. Fasten the gearbox firmly on end on your work bench and use a come along on other end of the bench. You will need to improvise something on the shaft end to fasten the come along to. Try to get a straight pull. Tighten come along good and heat the face of the snout all the way around and tap the face with hammer all the way around. Use a piece of square stock between hammer and face to prevent damage to face. Don't heat red hot. Gradually heat more. Should come out. If the shaft is no good last resort is use torch and cut out bearing and race. The bearing is probably worn out anyway.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:42 pm Suit yourself. Never broke a case doing it yet.
Thanks Windy!!
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Dave Straub wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:42 pm I don't recommend the tree method The bearing race is stuck. Fasten the gearbox firmly on end on your work bench and use a come along on other end of the bench. You will need to improvise something on the shaft end to fasten the come along to. Try to get a straight pull. Tighten come along good and heat the face of the snout all the way around and tap the face with hammer all the way around. Use a piece of square stock between hammer and face to prevent damage to face. Don't heat red hot. Gradually heat more. Should come out. If the shaft is no good last resort is use torch and cut out bearing and race. The bearing is probably worn out anyway.
Thanks Dave
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Could you use spacers behind the castle nut to push it out ? At least to put some pressure on the shaft while you heat it. I would heat the casting next with a propane weed burner but it could ruin the bearing. The expansion should break rust and corrosion free. Then the castle nut pressure should help you. Pour a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid down the set screw hole and let it soak for a day or so to penetrate the fitment. BTW: dry ice on the bearing (not the casting) can sometimes help (shrinkage). Won't hurt the bearing.
grezmonki

Post by grezmonki »

I use a pretty heavy slide hammer to take Dempster shafts out. I made an adapter that threads onto the end of the shaft then the hammer threads onto it. I have to pry the shaft forward when doing this to compress the take up spring that's on the shaft or else it just bounces the spring. Sometimes it only take 3 or 4 strikes, sometimes 30 or 40 but I'd say I've had 99% success rate doing it this way!
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:45 pm Could you use spacers behind the castle nut to push it out ? At least to put some pressure on the shaft while you heat it. I would heat the casting next with a propane weed burner but it could ruin the bearing. The expansion should break rust and corrosion free. Then the castle nut pressure should help you. Pour a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid down the set screw hole and let it soak for a day or so to penetrate the fitment. BTW: dry ice on the bearing (not the casting) can sometimes help (shrinkage). Won't hurt the bearing.
Thanks for the ideas...
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864