Star 24 Rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Rockabye74

Star 24 Rebuild

Post by Rockabye74 »

I am in the middle of a Star 24 rebuild. This windmill has taken a lot of time to get to this point. The bearings were all seized, the only way that I could get the original shaft out was to cut it into pieces. Then to get the nose off, I had to clamp the gearbox to my milling machine and mill away the mainshaft just to get the hub off. Turns out I didn't have to be that nice because the hub was cracked anyway.

Here is a picture of the gearbox as I test fit the mainshaft into the gearbox. Measure 20 times and cut once is what I am in the process of doing to this new shaft.
2019-05-15 20.20.55.jpg
I am also in need of some parts and some knowledge on this windmill. Please let me know if you can help me with either. The knowledge I am seeking is with respect to the pump and the braking system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rockabye74 on Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoosiertom

Re: Star 24 Rebuild

Post by hoosiertom »

I rebuilt one a few years ago. Getting older and some memories are hard to come by, but I'll help answer if I can. The pumps are simple, a tube with a check ball. Brakes seem to be optional, my F&W guru said he doesn't even put them back on. (I did, because I wanted it original.) Heller Aller never put a brake on any of their mills. If you have questions, I'm sure someone here has the answer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hoosiertom
Martinsville, Indiana
arthurwoodworks.com