Elgin Model R

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Jim Corcoran

Elgin Model R

Post by Jim Corcoran »

I picked up an Elgin Model R at the Tradefair in Syracuse without much thought about what I was going to do with it. After getting it home and looking closer at it I’ve decided to restore it. It came with a stub tower, but not much else.

It appears to have some compatibility with the Wonder B and some of the parts maybe interchangeable between the two. There are two obvious pieces I need to replace – the brake band and the governing (shifting) arm pivot piece.

I’d be greatly thankful for any assistance in locating a decent parts list/diagram and any potential sources for parts.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Re: Elgin Model R

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Are the stubs between the R and Wonder the same? I don't think I got a stub with my R, it came in a series of 5 gal buckets, LOL
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Aaron,
I don't have enough experience with my Model R yet to say much with any confidence. Comparing the parts list of the R to the Wonder B it appears the head plate (tower cap) are the same on both as are the four stub legs. The storm stays (step castings) are different. Some of the pullout pieces appear to be the same (shifting thimble, etc.), but not all.

When I removed mine from the stub I discovered that the stem (the piece of tubing press fit in the the lower casting) is bent. Don't know yet how I am going to remedy this.

Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Thanks Jim, I am cultivating milo right now but when I get some time I will go look at my parts and see if I can find the stem you are talking about and see if I got any ideas. I really enjoy the Elgins, what other company offered so many different designs, even if some are a bit quirky.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Jim did you find the parts you needed for the model r
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Smax,
No, haven't found any help yet. I've got mine completely disassembled and in the process of sandblasting and painting the individual pieces. Hopefully by the time I get the engine mostly reassembled I'll be able to locate the parts I need to finish.
Thanks for the inquiry.

Jim
Smax

Post by Smax »

Jim i have some parts on a damaged model r it's not complete but I may have some parts you need it you can send a photo of what you need . I will be glad to help if I can
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Steve,
Many thanks for the offer to help. Here are the parts I need.
1. Rocker arm. Tab is broken off the where the governor arm attaches.
2. Brake drum. Worn too thin to be usable.
3. Brake band. Mine is worn into two pieces.
rockerarm-1.jpg
brakedrum_2.jpg
Brakeband_1.jpg
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Believe i have the rocker arm. Will send photos of what I have
windybob

Post by windybob »

You could probably roll a brake band out of flat stock. I have done that before.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.