Goold Shapley & Muir Power Mill

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Peter vk

Re: Goold Shapley & Muir Power Mill

Post by Peter vk »

I made a little more progress on my two the power mills, two new tails.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Excellent! I like the basecoat!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

There's only black paint, the Sheetmetal is satin coat.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

That looks amazing!
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Those look great! Details man, details! You can't just dump those photos on us without any description. I didn't remember seeing that you got tails with these mills. I've love to know how you ended up with these beauties.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Really looks nice. Thanks for posting.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

FlJet wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:14 am Those look great! Details man, details! You can't just dump those photos on us without any description. I didn't remember seeing that you got tails with these mills. I've love to know how you ended up with these beauties.
Yes I know I'm not too great in describing things sorry. These two tails are brand new, I made them. I have an original 13ft tail, I made a stencil from it and transferred it onto the two new ones.
Peter
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Well they look amazing. I've got a couple of wrinkles in my tail. I've thought about trying to replace mine with new metal, but I think the best option for me is going to be to try and massage them back out. I can think of several tools, and a bunch of skills that I lack. No way I'd end up with anything nearly as nice as yours. If you have any pictures of the process, you'd entertain at least one person on here. It's fun to watch a craftsman in his element.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

20210101_235229.jpg
Looks awesome Peter. Coolest mill ever. I'm confused about the U shaped cast piece on the back of the mill. Or how the vane attaches. Also wondered about what sort of gear arrangement, final drive, belts? were used at the bottom. I've thought about building my own vanes, as most ive got are shot full of holes. Not sure how to wrap the outside around the rod neatly. This is the nicest one I've found yet, painted it up last night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Hi Mike, that u shaped part has two twisted wires that go back on the tail to stabilize it. The regular GSM deal is made like that also, you must have found one of those, they are pretty common. The gear on the bottom in the barn was called a foot gear. Your painting job looks great, what's on the other side?
Peter