F & W model 12 Wrist Pin Refurbish

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
billcobb

F & W model 12 Wrist Pin Refurbish

Post by billcobb »

Working on a Model 12 open gear project. Wrist pins were easy to remove but the bearing surface is all rusted beyond imagination. But, looking more closely at it, it appears that it could be just a standard shoulder bolt with a sleeve bearing slid on it. What are the odds that I can crack this wasted cylinder off the shoulder bolt and press on a new bronze bearing that the local TSC and Rural King stores have on hand ? I don't have a metal lathe (yet) but I'm thinkin' about stuffing a sleeve bearing onto the shoulder bolts to get it running. The pitman arms have new alloy Babbitt material so this is all I need to work through for the time being.
20190728_234435.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mister Ed

Re: F & W model 12 Wrist Pin Refurbish

Post by Mister Ed »

Bill, is that the Star 12 that was for sale down by Monroe (or there abouts)?

I believe the original pins are one piece. Could you clean yours up and sleeve them, maybe. That being said, I did make a set for the Star 12 I am working on. I could make a pair, but would need the hex stock. I used most of what I had ordered.
Thanks,
Ed
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Billcobb, I have the hex stock. Send me the pin and the dimension of the hole it goes in and I will make you one for $25 plus I will pay the postage back. That will make it about $32 in all which is cheaper than fooling with sleeves and a machinist to turn your pin down to a sleeve id size and then finding a sleeve of the correct od to fit plus buying a 4 to 8 in long sleeve. Or a for machinist to make it from scratch.
Paul C
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Yes, It's the one that was down in Monroe/Dundee area. I found a couple of shoulder bolts at the local hardware store (squeaky floors) (round heads). I know there are sleeve bearings at TSC that will fit because I have a short length of one I used to fix a hay elevator drive. Also, the original pins are so worn, I think I can die grind the remaining surface down and push on the sleeves.

If that doesn't work, I'll be in touch. Either way I'll post my results. The fellow who sold me this mill and tower cried when it left because it was in his family in the '30's. I'm thinking of getting it moving on a short tower for display and giving it back to him. He bought the property back for his retirement and found the tower and mill parts on the ground "way out there". He remembers his grandfather wanting to "fix it up".

The tower has cast foot pegs for a ladder deal, and the square nuts and bolts look and feel hand made because every one has a s slightly different shape and every head and nut is not square (maddening for my square sockets and open end wrenches) and I HATE adjustable Crescent wrenches. Each nut only fits one bolt, they aren't interchangeable !