Dempster model 10

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Smax

Dempster model 10

Post by Smax »

Been working on my dempster model 10. I finally got the Babbitt bearings poured and wheel straightened . I didn't have the original tail assembly so I modified a number 12 tailbone and fan to fit. Trying to figure out how the pullout works on the number 10 ( swivel) when I get that done will be ready to put it back up.
FB_IMG_1566875041403.jpg
FB_IMG_1566875022854.jpg
uh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Dempster model 10

Post by CTXmiller »

Very nice.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Usually there is a 1/4 inch rod that attaches to about a 2 ft chain by a small swivel. The chain makes the turns thru the pulleys, then on the straight run (vertical) the rotation of the head is taken by the swivel, then the 1/4 inch rod goes out the bottom of the neckpipe. That rod does not rotate. Also usually that rod is in the center, and the pumprod swivel is outside the rod. That's the way it is on the Dempster #12 in 1922-23-24 before they invented that wonderful pullout tube.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Thanks windy do you recommend trying to make the pullout rod or converting it to the pullout tube
Smax

Post by Smax »

This machine won't have to work for a living will be for display only
windybob

Post by windybob »

Then leave it original. By the way, I checked a parts list I have for a model 10, and the pullout rod and chain are indeed like I described. I was worried, so I found a prats list today. Didn't want to lead you astray.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Thanks windy. Haven't been able to find much on the model 10 didn't have a clue about the lower end of the pull out. I used a wire with a cable swivel when I put it up the first time the wire frayed with time not going to do it that way. Unfortunately the year box is the only original part on this mill didn't have any of the original tail of wheel so I substituted a no 12 wheel and vane.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Seems I saw an original Dempster 10 vane / tailbone on eBay recently. Not cheap and I am unsure of size (8’ or 10’), but definitely neat.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Every mill with this kind of pullout has issues. Or at least they do for me. Seems a common way to make it back in the day.
Dempster

Post by Dempster »

Windybob’s description is accurate. It’s a very basic design and should be easy to replicate. This is the same type of pullout that’s on my #8 Dempster, which is predecessor to the #10.

Lance