20’ Samson Model S

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Overkill

20’ Samson Model S

Post by Overkill »

Hello all,

We were able to disassemble and haul the windmill and tower in one long day. The head of the mill was heavier than I expected (3000lb plus). We had to get another tractor to help our tractor to pick it up and move it. We fully took apart the tower which has some missing parts and other bent parts. My forklift will be tied up till October 5th so I will not work much on the head till it gets back. My first goal is the tower. Do y’all see any problem with cold working the cables back straight? My plan is to straighten all cables, straighten the few kinked horizontal angle irons then build the tower standing up. After that I will fab new anchor posts which I will set in concrete piers. Please let me know what you think, I’m open to different ideas and experience on how to do it better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
JBarker

Re: 20’ Samson Model S

Post by JBarker »

Jake, I just looked at a huge Samson mill in Boerne, TX. I think it was a 20 ft wheel but not sure. Hope these pics help u some.

Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

More
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Thanks Jerry! great pictures the fans look different than mine. your pictures show 5 blades per section and mine has 3 blades per section? Its defiantly a Samson but i wander why the difference.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Does anyone know where I can get more of these clamps for the tower? I need 5 more?
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have some, but may be too small. I can double check if you put a tape to it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Also does anyone know where I can find more Eccentric Washers? When I took the tower apart, 12 of the spots where these washers when just had a loose nut in the whole.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

windybob wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:22 pm I have some, but may be too small. I can double check if you put a tape to it.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
windybob

Post by windybob »

From 1925 to at least 1929 SAMSON had a self-oiling model W. That was before the S and later the M self oiling heads. What exactly the model W was I have no idea. But it was not a direct stroke mill. Looking at the wheel on your pictures (Jerry) i may have guessed that was a self oiling Direct stroke mill, but apparently they didn't make one. I'm not even sure if they made a 22 ft mill, i will look tomorrow. If they did....maybe they incorporated more sails per section? Don't know yet. If that is a 20 foot, and Jake has a 20 ft, then why the difference in sail count? Unless they did like other makers did, and reduced the sail count due to the depression? Don't know. I will post more info tomorrow.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Jake, usually those eccentrics are on one of the cable only, not both. Those look like the same as on a regular tower like I run into. Let me see if I have 12 to send. Also I can check for the clamps in the morn. How many of those you need?