Another Dempster 12 Project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Another Dempster 12 Project

Post by windybob »

Here are 3- 8 ft Dempster helmets.
All 8 ft Dempster helmets edited.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
HuskerRon

Post by HuskerRon »

Windy Bob, Thanks so much for you help and explanations. I think some lights are starting to come on for me.
I appears to me then that my engine is for a 6' #12 and my wheel and vane are for a 8' #12A. Since the Dempster Assembly instructions show the pipe mast clamp and the hole in the pipe mast for the nub being on the same side as the pullout chain pulley. However, my wheel is 8' and you can see in the new picture that the vane says 12A.
I believe I understand everything else you explained. The mast clamp has the nub in place for the hole and I understood why that was that way. The pipe mast has no alignment bushing in the bottom, so I may make a new mast pipe, it is also very worn at the bottom where the storm stay contacts it. So I can either build up the worn spots or fabricate a new one. It also makes sense about grinding down the bearing race and I have already ordered the new bearings.
My question is if anyone can tell me how I could fabricate a bushing for the bottom of the mast pipe? What it would need to look like or where I could get one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I take a 1 inch collar, and cut the side out to make the notch. Wait a minute...it might be a 3/4 inch collar. I think the outside of it will be a tad smaller than the inside of the neckpipe. ( I have edited this post. ) Weld it inside the bottom, with the notch in line with the hole in the top for the clamp. Have your pullout tube there to measure the flat bar on it. Should be like 5/8 or so. allow room, don't need a tight fit. The old bushings were held in by a rivet. If there is about a 1/4 inch hole at the bottom, the original bushing fell out. So at least the length of the pipe is there.

Oh boy a hybrid! lol took one down a couple months ago, 6 ft wheel and tail, 8 ft head. If it's an 8 ft head it will say under the snout. 6 ft, no. Most 6 ft numbers start with 1, and 2. 8 ft numbers start with 1, and 3.

You can weld the neckpipe or make another. I think they are like 35 inches long.

12-A and #12 mills take the same wheel, and tail. That's about it. Apparently, the original cratered, and was replaced using the wheel and tail. 6 and 8 ft wheels fit on either 6 or 8 ft mills, either way. Tails, not so much unless they are modified.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.