Plattner Yale?

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Star Zephyr

Plattner Yale?

Post by Star Zephyr »

I was reading the post about Big Mill - Tight Quarters and it got me to thinking about a mill in my personal pile of junk. I got this mill 10 or 12 years ago and I had forgotten about it till now. The main frame doesn't say Eclipse, but it came with an eclipse weight. The arms were painted green as well as the wheel clips. I never got any sections with it or the tail so I don't know what whoever had it had put it up as. I'll attach a couple of pictures of the main frame with the part # that is on it. It's a 12 footer though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Star Zephyr

Re: Plattner Yale?

Post by Star Zephyr »

Here's a couple more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Several companies made an exact, or close to exact copy of the Eclipse. That mill was so popular, and well known, that after the patent ran out ( 1901 ) companies started copying it. Flint and Walling, Dempster, and Axtell are a few. Not sure who used the green (or blue) color for the arms at the moment.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

The standard had blue arms.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks Paul.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

All used the Eclipse style weight some with no name and some with. The standard would have Standard on it. They say if you wanted a Standard and all you had was an Eclipse all you needed was a Standard weight and paint it red and white.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

The only mill that had an Eclipse style weight with no name ( only a number) was the Dempster. All the others had a name. The eclipse weights all had the same number but it might be above or below the word Eclipse and a letter for the size.Some eclipse weights had the letters of the foundry that cast them. ( I don't know the particulars , but eclipse did farm out the Wood blade Eclipse to other foundries for a while)The Eclipse model number had the model number and size on the side of the main frame.The model number for all of them was TYPE P preceded by the size.

I am not certain that all of them were, but most of the Yale mills spokes were Green along with the main frame.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Pretty sure I read that the Standard ( by Axtell) had better bearings in them.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Windybob, Standard did furnish an option of roller bearings. It was the bearing that was long with the long rollers held together with washers on the end. There was a seperate split race that went around the rollers.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Okay. Those are Hyatt bearings. No longer made. But....I was in the lawnmower shop buying a belt a couple weeks ago, and saw 2 of those laying on the counter, about 3 inches long, and about 1 1/2 inches across. I couldn't believe it. He said they went in a deck of some sort. I aked where he got the 'Hyatt" bearings, he said he didn't know what they were. He was a young guy. lol