Lodge Project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Lodge Project

Post by windybob »

We are working with a guy on a cool project. Will explain later. Just got a video today, Paul V i sent you a pm about it. Stay tuned!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Re: Lodge Project

Post by windybob »

Ok, here we go. A friend of mine here in town , ( known around the country in racing circles) took the top off a hill, and is building a lodge on it. (if it's like Possum Lodge i'm joining). LOL

The gable ceiling is 28 ft to the peak, and he wanted an 8 ft windmill wheel to make into a ceiling fan. It will be suspended 8 or 10 ft down I think. We assembled one, made it really nice, and he fell in love with it. He also wanted an 8 ft tail assembly, so made him one, a different brand than the wheel. I thought he was going to display it on the wall or something. Guess he decided to mount it with the wheel. Oh well. He knows it's different. He was wondering what to hook to the wheel to turn it. I suggested something like a huge rotisserie motor, something to turn it slow. I had no idea, but he worked with a machinist about it. The machinist is supposed to suspend it by a long shaft with pillow-block bearings.

He has it together and running. he sent me a video of it. They set it on a forklift, and hooked it up to try it out. Turns out, they used a 10 speed treadmill motor! HAHA it works like a champ! What a great idea!
Let me see if I can post the video, and you can see the 'preliminary' work done. When they get it fully installed, I'm sure to get another video.

We are now setting up a windmill, pump etc by the pond outside. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Thanks for the video windy
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Windy Thanks for posting. That is going to be a cool display. Sounds like a neat lodge.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Here's a still shot of the wheel and tail. The wheel is new galvanized, the tail is faux galvanized. It's what I do to make a good copy. Lots of "spangle" as Randy has said.
Brents.jpeg

Here is another video I received today. I need to send it to Paul, as it's too much for me to deal with.

Thanks Paul!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Here's the 2nd video :D
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks!
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Very cool
Thanks,
Ed
MAS

Post by MAS »

Nice I am curious to see what you use for thrust bearings to hold the weight. I am thinking of doing this with a 5' wheel.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Mike, I will need to ask him.