8' Baker WC

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: 8' Baker WC

Post by windybob »

The oil slinger slides up the main shaft to the hub. It's a coil of wire like a spring. as the hub turns, it slings the oil off the shaft area into the trough inside the snout where it drains back to the case in the groove under the bearing seat.The oil is fed through the opening in the top of the snout.

The oiling ring with the oil scraper on it is what rides on the big gear.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh, no serious amount of wear on the bottom of the snout. Thanks for the pics. Usually the oil slinger and the shaft wears it down when the bearing goes bad. I have welded up many of these.
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

Thank you, now I see.

That is referred to as an oil collar on the parts list. I would probably have missed that. It does explain the things I scrapped off the shaft while cleaning. I didn't realize they had been part of something larger but it makes sense now.
This is all that's left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy I was at an Art show last night that featured Western Artist. Talking to one of the artist someone told him I had windmills. He wants to paint an old windmill repair guy on a windmill. I gave him your number!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wayne, touche' on me, LOL Good one.

Oh my, that oil "collar" is toast! No wonder the shaft is pitted. Yes, check the parts diagram, I forgot the number.
That thing must have spent a lot of years face-planted in the dirt.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm serious about the man wanting to paint the picture. He asked me if I had windmill repair tools so I could pose for him. He said I looked old and crotchety. I do have a tool that they say was the windmillers wrench because it does so many things you only have to take it up the tower. Have a great day Windy!