8' Baker WC

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Coulteryan

8' Baker WC

Post by Coulteryan »

Well it seems I've contracted the same ailment that many here are suffering from: I went from wanting, but not having a windmill a month ago, to having one in pieces on my bench. I actually got a two for one when I wasn't even looking.
I'm starting with the Baker since it has the tower and I can likely get it up and running sooner, the 8' Challenge 27 will just have to wait for a bit since it lacks a tower.
I'm attaching some pics to show my progress, although so far all I've really done is disassemble. Please jump in with suggestions so I can hopefully avoid doing too many things either wrong, or twice.
My goal is to have it functioning properly but I'm not interested in having it look like new. I like old things to look old, but that's just me.
Thanks in advance for any advise offered.

Also, if anyone knows how to rotate the pics please let me know and I'll resubmit....I know they're hard to look at this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: 8' Baker WC

Post by windybob »

ok here we go.... Specific questions always help, but here's an overview. You have a relatively later style WC. In 1940 or 41 they changed the turntable from under the neckpipe to top of the tower. Also, they changed the tail from a swallowtail look to a vertical tail. Also, later mills have a 5 section wheel earlier have 6 section wheels. Your wheel looks very workable. I have worked over many wheels much worse. All that stuff is malleable.

I would remove the tail, and tail pin. I'm sure its worn, and other items need welded, brazed, or bushed.

more in a minute. Let me check pictures closer.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

IMG_6697 (1) ed.jpg
IMG_6694 ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

a few more hints. Gears look pretty good so far. As long as the pinion has wear left, and is not sharp you can reverse it, to wear on the other sides. Mainshaft in the hub looks ok. Clean it up good. Oil pan looks good. Usually the are broken and laying in the bottom. There is about a 4 inch brass bushing in the snout, drag it out. There is a half ( about 2 inch) on in the back of the case. Stick a stiff wire in the snout all the way back and drag it out if it does not come out with your finger.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Major wear points are as follows...

Crank gear shaft.
pitman arm ends.
rocker arm shaft.
Case, inside on both sides of the pinion gear.
Front bearing.
Mainshaft back end, and front behind hub.
Oil slinger on shaft behind hub.
Lower opening of snout, in front of brass bearing.( from oil slinger dragging)

A lot of these are easily fixed.
windybob

Post by windybob »

From what I can see, you do NOT have much wear. I only wish I could find them like that. Most what I get are hammered.

I do not see a brake shoe. Not surprising. Brakes were crappy on these, and most lose them over time.

Everything you may want or need is available. No worries.

Turntable uses 5/8 steel balls. Also 3/8 thick, and around 3/4 inch long pieces of rod for spacers between each ball. Otherwise you need like 33 balls.

Bout your tailpin...From what I see, the upper tail hinge is remarkably thick on top. Wow, I can't remember the last time I saw one that good. I think this mill may have fallen or been taken out of service early on. I see virtually no wear on any place up and down the tailpin or attached items.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I also do not see the rocker arm, pumprod attachment, or pumprod. The rocker arm goes thru the oiling ring. On the rocker arm, there is a "cap" looking thing, ( don't have part numbers at the moment) with 2 bolts, that bolt into a small piece of 1/4 in steel plate for the pumprod.
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

Windybob, thanks very much for the input.

I have included a few more pictures that I think address all the items I'd missed in the initial shots. I think I have everything you mentioned.
You may be right about it being on the ground for a while, it had no cap, or lid?, when I got it so it was full of dirt. Not broken parts in the case. There doesn't appear to be much wear that I can see on any of the bearing surfaces, other than in the longer brass bushing.

I am concerned that the main shaft through the hub is quite rough and may chew up the next brass bushing if not cleaned and smoothed properly.

I've included shots of the top and bottom of what I assume is the tail rod for closer examination.

I'll send a few more when my phone decides to get them to my computer...
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh yeah, there they are. Taking a break, back is hurting. Ask pointed questions if you wish.

IMG_6727 ed.jpg
IMG_6726 ed.jpg
IMG_6728 ed.jpg
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

Ok, first question is how to get the pics rotated correctly?

Also, where is the best place to get replacement parts? As you can see I need a new brake rod, which I think I can make myself, and a spring as well as new bushings and misc parts.

Is there a cross reference that dates these mills based upon the parts used? For example, my crank case is a WC3A, which I assume came later than the original WC3? My hub is a WC10V, and the upper base part is WC5A. Is there something that tells when these revisions were made? Not that it makes any difference, but would be nice to date it more accurately if possible.