Australian Mills

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Peter vk

Re: Australian Mills

Post by Peter vk »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:51 pm OK Peter,

Am I seeing that the shafts are "run in oil"? If so, how did they do the oil seals on each side of the reservoir if the bearings were babbitt? They are decent sized reservoirs with drain plugs much different than oil cups that drip a small amount of oil on the bearing surface. One of your great pics of the interior of an oil reservoir might be appropriate. If the shafts ran in oil, what was the condition of the gears?

Rebuilding 3 Beattys might get boring for you...

As always great work

Ron
There was no seal on the ends as far as I know, gears were in pretty good condition. I will get a picture of the inside of the oil reservoir tomorrow. The one Beatty is a special one!
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Peter Nice looking mills. Looks like you have a nice shop to work in. Take care and stay safe.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Peter vk wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:13 pm
Ron Stauffer wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:51 pm OK Peter,

Am I seeing that the shafts are "run in oil"? If so, how did they do the oil seals on each side of the reservoir if the bearings were babbitt? They are decent sized reservoirs with drain plugs much different than oil cups that drip a small amount of oil on the bearing surface. One of your great pics of the interior of an oil reservoir might be appropriate. If the shafts ran in oil, what was the condition of the gears?

Rebuilding 3 Beattys might get boring for you...

As always great work

Ron
There was no seal on the ends as far as I know, gears were in pretty good condition. I will get a picture of the inside of the oil reservoir tomorrow. The one Beatty is a special one!
The Boomerang has drainplugs and a collar inside the reservoir, the Baby has no drainplugs and the collar on the ends.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

hedgerow wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:10 am Peter Nice looking mills. Looks like you have a nice shop to work in. Take care and stay safe.
Thanks, yes the shop is real handy, I have it heated all winter.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Thanks for the pics, Peter, as that is an unique design build for shaft oiling with open gearing. The gears look to have been in good shape but with your miracle tooth shaping grinder and "Ultra Cover" paint one would never know.

So when will we see what a special Beatty is?

Ron
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

The Beattys are all torn apart, I will post some pics when the gearboxes are back together.
wind fab

Post by wind fab »

ron

the special beatty is one that i got a call to pick up for peter, from the call to having it in my truck was 3 hours!!!!!!!!!!!! even i dont have one!!!!!! have only seen a few

paul in canada

ps has something to do with gsm
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:48 pm Thanks for the pics, Peter, as that is an unique design build for shaft oiling with open gearing. The gears look to have been in good shape but with your miracle tooth shaping grinder and "Ultra Cover" paint one would never know.

Ron
I would like to to see that tool! I weld and grind a lot of gear teeth. :)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

windybob wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:03 pm
Ron Stauffer wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:48 pm Thanks for the pics, Peter, as that is an unique design build for shaft oiling with open gearing. The gears look to have been in good shape but with your miracle tooth shaping grinder and "Ultra Cover" paint one would never know.

Ron
I would like to to see that tool! I weld and grind a lot of gear teeth. :)
All I got is a regular grinder
windybob

Post by windybob »

OK. lol I have one just like it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.