Baker WB rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Jim Corcoran

Re: Baker WB rebuild

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
This should be more help. the two white dots are on the two broken pieces of the ear that is part of the case casting.
broken ear.jpg
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't think that would be an issue. The tailpin holds it too, so it's not all on the mounting. I would fix it.

Thanks for the pic.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Well I've managed to get this far into the disassembly of the mill. My next question is: How do you get the main shaft & hub out? I've removed the cotter pin that keeps the pinion gear in place but don't see an easy way to get it off the shaft so that the shaft and hub will come out of the case. Too bad Baker didn't put a plug on side opposite to the hub so it could be drifted out.

You can see from the image of the bull gear how badly rusted the interior is. I doubt that the bull gear is reusable as badly pitted as it is.

As always, and suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Jim

pinion gear.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sorry guys, I've got a pinched nerve in my leg, and can't really sit too long. Really makes it hurt.

There is a half-moon key under the gear. Soak it Really good. Tap between the teeth, But you don't want to spread and crack the gear. You might need to heat the pinion with the torch. Do NOT hit on the hub to drive the shaft out of the case. Use a long rod to hit the hub way down toward the center where it's thick. If you wish to drill a hole in the case to reach the end of the mainshaft, that's your call I would NOT do that. If you mushroom the mainshaft even a little, it won't come out thru the gear. Your best bet is to heat the gear and let thin oil do it's job. SAnd blast the bull gear and see how it looks afterwards.From what I can see, the pinion looks fairly good. If you decide to torch it off the mainshaft, (which I have done before) Dan B has new ones. The teeth are slanted 1 in 16 on these, so a regular spur gear won't work. If you have to waste something to save something, waste the mainshaft. It's cheaper.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
That's what I needed to know. As my Aggie sons would say, "That's good bull!" I much appreciate the help.

Hope your leg gets better soon.

Jim
windybob

Post by windybob »

No prob. Thanks!
Aermotor Fan

Post by Aermotor Fan »

I have learn this trick from FW Country (Jim) .
Put the gearbox in a fire pit, put wood all around the
gearbox. Let it burn for at least 4 hours, do it during the day
not at night. It worked when I had a frozen 6.5 foot Monitor Hambone.
A hambone has a left handed threaded main shaft and bull gear shaft.

Adam
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh, leg is all better. That fire pit method scares me. Good idea though. I will remember.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Adam,
Thanks for the input. After sandblasting, I put a torch to both the shaft and pinion gear several times (got them both glowing) and after cooling down added copious amounts of 3-in-1 oil and PB Blaster, all to no avail. I have a hydraulic ram that has a spreader that’s rated a half a ton that I put between the gear and the inside of the case, much like gunner’s bolt expander on the Baker AC thread. Even with this I can’t get the gear to budge.
I borrowed my son’s sawzall and plan to cut the shaft in half to get it all apart.

Jim
pinion gear removal_1.jpg
windybob

Post by windybob »

Those can be near impossible. I've cut the shaft, and also cut the gear off the shaft. Depends on what needs saved.
Jim, you gave it a great try. A lesson to all about patience. Now it's time to teach it who the boss really is.