Baker WB rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Baker WB rebuild

Post by windybob »

Jim, there are either 1 or 2 washers between the cotter key and the end of the shaft. Here's what I do. Test fit with one or two. See how much end play is in the shaft. If there is more than 1/8" then take a third washer and put it between the cotter and the gear. This should take out most end play. These are notorious for too much end play, then the brake doesn't work right, and the hub drags the snout. WHen you are sure of a good end play scenario, then spread the key. Oh, and I hope you got the oil slinger on the shaft all the way up to the hub? If there is a space in front of the bearing, the slinger won't hit it, and the oil will be able to fly off the shaft.

Oh, the washer on the front of the gear is not supposed to be there.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
Just what I needed to know.
Many thanks!
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Post by windybob »

You're welcome.
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

Good afternoon, Don't know whether to add to this thread or start another so please excuse if I did it wrong.

I recently acquired a WB. Externally it's in pretty good shape, at least the arms, blades, tail etc are all there and salvageable I think, except for a large whole in the case. It came with an 8' "stub" tower and the storm safe is there and in decent shape. Surprisingly no bullet holes anywhere!

Internally the picture is more bleak, besides being very worn out, the pitman arm apparently broke which I think is what caused the whole in the case, the pitman guide is also broken where the arm was attached. The main shaft is also stuck.

My initial question is whether there is a method to lubricate the main shaft if the rest of the guts are not replaced? This assumes I can get the main shaft to move and can get the gear off the shaft. Otherwise I think it will just be for show, with no blade rotation.
Thanks in advance.
windybob

Post by windybob »

You do need a means to lube the bearings on a rotating shaft, and for a Monitor WB it would be the large gear, oil pan, oiling ring assembly, and maybe a few other things, also, the hole fixed. If you want a yard ornament, put it up with the shaft that doesn't turn, and have a static display. Otherwise, you can rebuild the entire unit and have a working windmill. All the parts you need are available. Very common mill.
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

Thanks for the reply WBob.

Based upon your guidance earlier this year with a WC that I was working on, you familiarized then with the mechanics of the Baker lubrication. I was just curios if there was a work-around for lubrication if all the other parts were omitted. I don't need this one to pump water or anything, so all other parts internally, except for lubrication, I assume are superfluous?

In either case, I'm making the executive decision, based upon the state of the main shaft in particular, but also the general condition of the inside of the case, that this will be a static display. Thanks again for your help earlier and now.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yep. Good luck!