Baker WB rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Smax

Re: Baker WB rebuild

Post by Smax »

Hey Jim I have been working on a wb have one rebuilt and ready another one waiting to get the brass bearings for. How did your other project come out
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Steve,
I managed to get the WB apart (with minimal damage) and am now working on the stub tower (bent angle iron) before I start sandblasting and repainting the mill itself. I have a Stover 3 legged tower I want to mount this on but will need to modify it, if I can find the appropriate head plate and storm stay.

The Elgin is painted and ready to go back together. I still need a brake band and a tail vane stem. I need the stem so I can hook up the pull out mechanism. When things finally open up around here, I hope to get over to see Jimmie Lee and take some measurements off his Elgin R so I can fabricate my own tail stem. That's assuming I don't find one sooner.

That's all the projects I have going right now and these will keep me busy for a while.

Take care and best regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Smax

Post by Smax »

When I obtained the wb it came with a three legged tower someone had welded flat strap to for the tower braces . Don't believe it was a baker tower the ladder is in the middle . I checked my bone pile for a stem for the "r" don't have one ,just the counter weight stem and ball
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Steve,
Thanks for checking on the tail vane stem for me. I do have a counterweight stem and ball.

When I picked up the Stover tower there was no mill with it. Since I came across the WB before I could find a 6 foot Samson S or M, I decided I would try to merge the two. I still need to find a three corner storm stay and lower ball race to make it work. I'll let you know how it goes.
Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Post by windybob »

I will check to see about a 3 legged tower top for a WB mill. Either that or make you one up. Might be a hard one to find. I try to export all the 3 legged towers I find. They are a pain to me.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
I was under the impression, from some of the literature I've come across, that Baker may have made a lower ball race that was a universal fit for either a 3 or 4 leg tower. Any validity to this? My stub tower came with only the 4 leg version.
Jim
windybob

Post by windybob »

I will look at what I have today.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yes Baker did make a universal lower ball race. I bought one several years ago from Verdon. I can take a picture and post it if you want to have a look.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Thanks Wayne but not necessary. I called Verdun earlier today and there's one on the way to me.
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Jim
windybob

Post by windybob »

Gee Jim, post a picture of the one you have. I'd like to see what you are replacing. You are correct, they are universal.