Baker WB rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Jim Corcoran

Re: Baker WB rebuild

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
This may be a bit off topic, but what are these numbers cast into the case? Any chance this is a manufacturing or casting date (Sept 1946)?
Thanks in advance.

Jim
casting_date.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Post by windybob »

Jim Corcoran wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:45 pm Bob,
This may be a bit off topic, but what are these numbers cast into the case? Any chance this is a manufacturing or casting date (Sept 1946)?
Thanks in advance.

Jim

casting_date.jpg
9 4 6 I thought they were clear enough to see. :lol:
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Okay. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Maybe, but I don't think they identified when they were made. I never noticed before. If I can remember i will check the cases I have tomorrow. It is a late model case though. In '41 they put the turntable on the tower top. I can see that's the kind of case you have. So I guess it would fit.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Okay,
So in hindsight, I should have more correctly asked: "Are these numbers in anyway indicative of a casting date or date of manufacture?".

Not that it matters- just curious.

Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Aermotor Fan

Post by Aermotor Fan »

The thing about heating with a torch is if you heat it too much
you can "Fuse" the shaft to the gear.
Adam
windybob

Post by windybob »

Jim Corcoran wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:45 pm Bob,
Thanks in advance.

Jim

casting_date.jpg
Jim, you may be on to something. I checked all the heads at the shop, about 50% have numbers, the others are bare. The numbers are all different, but all numbers have a month (?) and a year (?) that would correspond to a casting date. I think you went and taught this old dog a new trick. Thanks for noticing!
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
Rookies like me are really fortunate to have a knowledgeable "old dog" like you to help us out. Many thanks for your expertise and willingness to help.
Jim
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks. I'm not an expert. I just pass on what works or has worked for me in the past. Nice project.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
Well, I've got another question. Is this upper ball race usable or should I get another one? One side of the slot is broken away. I'm not sure what the purpose of the slot is so don't know if it is critical or not.
WB5A_1.jpg
WB5A_2.jpg

Once again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't think that will bother anything. Water gets in there anyway. The slot is for the chain for the pull-in system. You do not want that turntable top to ride on the bolt heads that hold the other part on the tower. If you have any 1/2 inch balls left, chances are they are shot. You can pre test it by sticking some balls in the race with grease, (if the tower is laying down) and checking the fit. I have seen a few of those worn out, and even with new balls, it still rides on the bolt heads.Check it before assembling the mill on the tower.