From the farm Baker AC rebuild.

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Gunner

From the farm Baker AC rebuild.

Post by Gunner »

Well, I finally got the bushing out of the end of the pipe.
Picture attached. Can the pipe be saved?
Now for parts? Is there a kit offered for these with everything in it or a one stop shop. Or do I need to buy piece buy piece from different places? I see on eBay that there’s Windmill-Parts in Indiana selling new and used parts. I read from pcowley about getting bearings/ bushings and cutting them in two. I guess that’s for the inside of the gear box.
Any help would be appreciated.
I’m in the process of welding up a stand for the head and start the disassembly process.
E916D59A-4222-420F-96F8-AE0299C80F3B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: From the farm Baker AC rebuild.

Post by windybob »

Considering the whole pipe, and the work involved, I would change it out. There is at least 1/4 inch worn off the end there. I think it's just a 2 inch pipe. Consider one 1/2 inch longer to make up for what's worn off.

Dan B should have the parts you need. The ball cup turntable, balls, and upper race for the neckpipe can all be bought new.

Brass bearings (DYI) are made from brass like you mentioned. Dan has the already cut ones.

Several places for you to get parts from. You already have my reccommendation.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Thanks. Can you share the info for Dan B. My apologies if this information is located somewhere that I may have missed. Thanks again.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Dan Benjamin 605-940-3275
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Thanks Wayne.
To all. Started disassembly tonight, got the wheel off and all the wheel spokes. Started in the crank case. Down to the Crank Gear and Crank Gear Shaft. Which way does the shaft need to be drove out? Through the hole that the plug was in or the other side where the set bolts are? Pictures attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Either way, but it is a press fit. Also make sure that's not a set screw inside the case where the gear rides on the shaft. I don't remember a set screw there, but it looks like there is one in the picture. It's been a long time since I had an AC apart. The later W model mills don't have one there. ALso, where the shaft goes thru the case, that's an area that leaks oil. When you re-assemble it I'll let you know what I do about that.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Well still having trouble with that Crank Gear Shaft. Won’t budge. Tried using a little heat and hitting it from the inside out. Won’t move. Any ideas before I go the hydraulic press. Just don’t want to end up in the Look What I Broke Today column on my first windmill project. lol
windybob

Post by windybob »

Hmm. well if there is no other set screws in it, it's just really tight. other than a press, you could drill it. Or you could drill it, then press it. If you do drill it, stay away from the case because if your drill bit runs along the case you will have a huge oil leak. Usually you can take that shaft out, flip it, and re-use the other end for the gear. However, if you drill it, you will wind up getting another shaft, which should be no problem anyway.

If you press it, press from the inside out the back. However, I'm sure you know to support the back of the case on the thickest part immediately around the shaft. Might be a bit of a balancing act, but at least the case should be fine. Especially if you drill it first. Don't need to drill it completely, just enough to make it pass. You might even press it out halfway, and once it's loose, cut it off and knock it back the other way.

If you do what I suggest, and you wind up posting in the "look what I broke" section, Then check in the "look what I gave you" section for another AC case I will give you.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy, Tell me if I'm only imagined something. I rebuilt a WC once an I have in my head that the shaft and hole in the gear were tapered. Not much but it was there. I had to really look to see the taper. Because of that the gear of course the gear could only be driven off in one direction. I can't shake that idea. That is the only WC I ever took apart so don't have any other history.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I 'have never seen a tapered shaft in those. Only thing tapered is the key for the hub. I would be more concerned about a setscrew in the case up next to the gear. I do know that WC mills had a slanted mainshaft, and I think the AC does also. That's why the pinion teeth are slanted, to offset the mainshaft slant. The rest of the stuff in the case is plumb and level. But no taper on that shaft. They do wear though.

HAmbone mills ( monitors also) have tapered shafts.