Baker/Heller Aller Model 28

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
sshosier

Baker/Heller Aller Model 28

Post by sshosier »

I just recently picked up this windmill head complete with the wheel and tail. Everything has a nice rusty "patina". It just so happened that I already had the top 10' of a Heller Aller tower to put this on. At one time someone had gutted the gear box and added a sprocket to drive an alternator to charge some batteries. Since I was already missing everything from the gearbox I've decided to just just make this a decorative "spinner" windmill to put up at our farm house. I'm going to leave everything rusty as well.

So far I cleaned up most of it. Replaced the mast pipe, straightened out the blades and did a few other repairs. I have added two bearings inside the gear box and the shaft seems to spin really nice. I left the original snout bearing in place so I don't think I'll have any issues with things being balanced. My plan is to put this up next week.

I'm extending the 10' tower I have to around 20' tall. It seems to me like the legs on this tower don't have very much spread or angle on them. From what I have mocked up at 20' tall it only has around 30" square at the base. Is this normal for a HA tower? Should the legs be splayed out at the bottom? Any suggestions on what is a good height for a decorative tower with an 8' wheel? I have all the material to go as tall as I want including all of the original ladder steps.

Right now the only thing I'm missing is the hood cap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Baker/Heller Aller Model 28

Post by windybob »

Have a lot of good stuff to work with! Nice!

You can make the tower wider by moving the girts up higher, spreading it out more. Normally a 20 ft tower has about a 6 ft Diagonal spread at the bottom. To keep the esthetics nice, with an 8 ft mill, an 8 ft diagonal spread is not unreasonable.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.