Anchoring tower for 8' Dempster

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
HuskerRon

Anchoring tower for 8' Dempster

Post by HuskerRon »

My tower was a 3-legged 40' when I took it down. The bottom 10' was damaged and I did not want it that tall anyway so it was removed. My question is about anchoring the existing tower now. Most of what I have read says it should be 4' to 5' deep for the anchors. What I am planning on doing is putting the tower itself including the bottom girts 3' deep. So the question is if you feel this is deep enough? The girts will actually be 3' deep and is below frost line for me. I plan to put a bag or two of concrete in each corner
Anyones thoughts will be greatly appreciated!
sshosier

Re: Anchoring tower for 8' Dempster

Post by sshosier »

Sounds good to me except I would go with more concrete. I would do something more like 5-6 bags on each leg.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Around here it's mostly sandy, or sandy loam. We dig down min 3 ft, use a half bag of concrete per. I make 4 ft anchors. Mostly 6 and 8 ft mills, on towers 20-30 ft tall. However, do what you are satisfied with.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

I suggest you get new anchors and use Aermotor guidelines for anchors and not bury part of the legs or straps in case you might have to take the tower down.Do it right now and it won't have to be redone.Short anchors will work if you have some scrap iron to make them longer.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418