F & W Star Zpher restoration

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
TexasGeorge

F & W Star Zpher restoration

Post by TexasGeorge »

Bought a ranch a few years ago that has a windmill on it. Only one half of one sail still attached and it needed near 20 MPH wind to turn it but it turned. Found the beat up tail, some broken sails and misc parts scatted a few yards away.

Recently got it on the ground where I could work on it. It is a F&W Star 8 footer on a 40 ft tower best I can tell from the numbers. Internally it looks rebuildable as there was just enough oil to keep it going but several external parts are missing.

Where is the best place to buy parts? I'll need all 5 sections of the sail. It will need new ballbearings, tail spring and brackets. Is there a place like Aeromotor in San Angelo that still sales parts?

Thanks in advance.

George
TexasGeorge

Re: F & W Star Zpher restoration

Post by TexasGeorge »

PS: What is the trick to removing the motor from the stub tower? Pictures soon to be posted.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes pictures would help. Put an ad on the parts wanted section. I don't think you will have much trouble finding parts for those. They were common. Todd over in Indiana might help a lot.

There may be a bolt in the neckpipe keeping the mill from coming out of the top of the tower. Also a brake wire may be attached, and the pump rod that comes out the bottom of the neckpipe might need to be removed. These are usually the 3 things that keep a mill on the tower.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Where in central Texas are you located? I just recently finished restoring a F&W Star 37 and it's still on its stub tower in the garage. If you're close, you're welcome to come by my house and take a look. I'm in far south Travis county near Manchaca.

Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
TexasGeorge

Post by TexasGeorge »

20 miles north of Lampasas. Adamsville/Izoro area. It would be very helpful to see a unit in working order. How do we linkup? I think I put my email in the setup page.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

TexasGeorge wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:38 pm 20 miles north of Lampasas. Adamsville/Izoro area. It would be very helpful to see a unit in working order. How do we linkup? I think I put my email in the setup page.
PM sent with contact info.

Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."