Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Wayne

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by Wayne »

I've used the hammered look spray. I thought it did a good job. When there 30 ft in the air who can tell.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

The bright silver paint the last owner used just looks tacky to me. Plus it wasn't the best paint job so it's all coming off. I did decide to buy a cheap ($25) handheld sandblaster instead of pulling my 15 gallon unit out of storage. It's too small to use on anything big, and too big to use on anything small. And it's a pain to setup and use. Hopefully this handheld deal works. If it does, it should be perfect for what I need to do. Hunter green and hammered finish gray? Silver? Whatever looks right when I get there.

Windybob- Any chance you ever had the opportunity to check and see if you had a "Fairbanks Morse" stencil? If not, I think I'm planning on using my projector to blow up the picture I have and trace it out on my tail. If you don't have one let me know. I'll trace you one on paper and send it to you. I figure I owe you something on this project, the amount you've helped.

I did manage to get by the parts house and find a set of brake shoes that fit perfect. They are actually for a 2010 Nissan. Right diameter and width though. I'll just need to go back and find the photo Windybob posted of his brake assembly and try and build a bracket to bolt this shoe to and make it work.

The last part that I know I need to source or make is the spring that carries oil up to the bearing in the nose. I just haven't taken the time to stack everything up in there and get a measurement (diameter and length) and figure out my rotation so it will move the oil in the right direction. I think someone mentioned just winding a wire around the shaft. I'm just not sure I have confident in my wire selection in the shop. Off the top of my head I have solid copper wire, and galvanized electric fence wire. Maybe either of those would work fine, but I'm way out in the weeds here. If I can't source a reasonably priced spring I may try making my own. Any suggestions on wire material?
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm sorry, I've not been much good at all lately. Can barely get around, mostly chair or bed-ridden.
You might try #9 wire like they use on fences. Wrap it on a smaller shaft, then slide it on yours. That way the wrap won't swell on yours.

Woodmanse mills usually are CCW rotation. Not sure about this one.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Do you have a medal lathe or a good powerful drill ??
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Bob- no rush. Really I’m looking for a chance to repay your help. Tracing this out will take no time at all. I’ll probably project right onto my tail and trace it out in pencil and then tape it off. Tracing out another copy on paper won’t take but another 5-10 mins. I think I’ll do it for my own benefit regardless if I ever need to re-stencil the tail. I’ll happily share what I’ve got. And sorry about the pinched nerve. That’s rough. Don’t push it on my account.

Paul- I do have a lathe. I think I know what you’re getting at, but I’d like to see if I’m on the same page with you or not.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

With the lathe one can make their own springs.All that is needed is a rod to turn the wire around. I have made several springs from short to long. One would have to play with rod size and wire type to consider spring back on the type of wire used and the mandrel it is turned on.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy are you still going to have the surgery?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Supposed to around Dec 3. I know....going into the lions den with the virus and all. I'm in the 5th week of mostly pain except if I lay down. I'm ready.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

When I had my issues no laying down spent most of my time in my recliner. I found even changing the shoes you wear can change things. I had an old pair of Roper Boots. They were the only thing I could wear and walk around.
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Get into a hot tub. Then an inversion table. Good for a couple of hours to get some decent sleep.