Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
mtblah

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by mtblah »

Joby, looking at the last photo holding the front nose bearing I noticed the brake shoe pivot. I personally would use a solid bushing rather than a series of washers, less wobble with a solid spacer. My last longer and do less damage to the double nutted bolt being used .
Just my opinion .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Windy- I'm trying to source a replacement now but I can't seem to find anything off the shelf for a 1-1/8" shaft and a 2-3/16" housing. I'll either get a steel spacer milled that I can press into the mill to decrease the OD on the housing and let me use a standard size bearing, or I'll get an oil impregnated bronze bar turned down to size. It kind of depends on the price. I know of a couple of bronze bars sitting in a cabinet at my previous job. I sent an email to my old boss over the weekend to see if he'd be willing to let me steal one. Hoping to figure that out shortly.

I did end up with another question though on these bearings. What takes the thrust load on this thing? I'm assuming it's inside on the housing. There is a step in the shaft and the gears ride on that section. So a trust washer between the gear and the housing?
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Mike- I've been a little concerned about that but had convinced myself it would be fine. But that's just because it would be easier. Once I get everything figured out with the bearings and my shaft installed I'll be able to figure out just how thick that spacer needs to be to set the brake shoe in the right position. That's the nice part of the washers, I can adjust it. I'm not that concerned about the wobble, it actually doesn't have much slop in it. But this can go one of two ways- wear out and get to where it does wobble, or start to rust and take up all of my gap and lock this thing tight. So I'll take your advice and quit being lazy and get a spacer made for this. I've invested this much time and effort into it, I might as well do it right. In for a penny, in for a pound, right?
windybob

Post by windybob »

In the case, the first pinion has nibs on it, and they are up against the case web between the pinions. This takes thrust. If they wear down, then inside the hub contacts the snout for further thrust. Of course, by this time things are already worn fairly bad.

Look at the front of the snout, and see if there's a wear pattern. Mine has one.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sorry, let me modify my post. It's been a while since I've looked at it. I think there are washers between the pinions and bearing web. It's these washers that have the nibs on them, turned inward toward each other.

Either way, this is how thrust is taken.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Yeah, those thrust washers were gone when I got the machine. I think I'll order a handful of these: https://www.mcmaster.com/thrust-washers ... iameter~1/. Any recommendation on thickness and quantity? I kind of like the idea of multiples, sort of like a clutch pack. If I have the room, I might try and slip one of these on any shaft I can. I know I have nothing between my big gears and the case. Would be cheap insurance.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

And I think I found a nice option for the front bearing.
https://www.mcmaster.com/plastics/shape ... /id~1-1-4/

I particularly like this option:

Oil-Filled Easy-to-Machine Wear-Resistant Cast Nylon Tubes
Color: Green
Temperature Range: 32° to 230° F
Tensile Strength: 9,500-10,000 psi (Good)
Impact Strength: 1.2-1.4 ft-lbs./in. (Poor)
Hardness: Rockwell R110 (Hard)
For Use Outdoors: Yes
Specifications Met: ASTM D5989
Impregnated with oil, these tubes remain slippery over time. Use them to fabricate pulleys, bushings, and bearings for use in hard-to-reach areas where adding a lubricant would be difficult. Because they are made of cast nylon 6, they are easier to machine than standard nylon rods, plus they’re better electrical insulators. The OD is oversized and the ID is undersized for finishing to the sizes listed. This material is comparable to Nycast and Nyloil.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Don't know anything about those nylon ideas. Seems if they're really easy to machine, they are really easy to wear out. That stuff scares me. But if you use it, let us know how goes it.

Aermotor in the 802 used a composite "Garfil" bearing.( I believe that's the name)

I would tend to stick with brass, bronze, or babbitt. You can get a bronze bearing, OD too small, and insert it in another 'carrier' with the right OD to fit the opening. Braze those together, and install it so that it won't spin in the bore.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Still weighing my options. I think brass, bronze, and babbitt are all great options for the application. I guess I've just seen enough plastic used over the years to be willing to try it here. I'm leaning towards the oil impregnated stuff, but If I go with plastic of any sort, I will certain give an update as time goes on.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

So I ended up pulling the trigger on the oil impregnated plastic for the nose bearing. I should get it tomorrow and then we will see how quick the machine shop can make it fit for me.

I also ordered a couple diameters of bronze thrust bearings in a couple of thicknesses. I'll get those installed before I button everything up.

I also managed to get a lot of my internals reinstalled and I dumped a quart of ATF in it. I wanted to make sure that the oil pump was working before I mounted it on the tower. I have it set on the short stroke currently. It will be pumping water but I don't NEED the water so I would rather see it spin more often. But, since the short stroke also shortens the stroke on the oil pump I stuck a CPVC fitting in-line to give me another inch of stroke on the oil pump. I don't get in a bind anywhere at the top or bottom of the stroke. Probably totally unnecessary, but it was a thought I couldn't shake and easy enough to try.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.