Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
FlJet

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by FlJet »

Well then maybe I dodged a bullet. I did buy a parts list and the erection and maintenance instructions for the FM Model 45 from Windmill-Parts.com on eBay. $8ish each if I remember correctly and I haven't seen any other literature anywhere so I was happy to pay it. I've reviewed those two packets just about every evening for the last month and I swear I learn something new each time I do. I did reach out to him as I started to identify parts I was missing but he quickly told me he didn't have any of what I was looking for.

Seems like there's a story here that I'm unaware of. Not looking to open up a can of worms. He didn't have what I needed so avoiding him is easy.

Speaking of things I learned- I did look though those two packets last night and the shaft at the hub appears to be straight with a key (no taper). I'm soaking it now to see if I can get it freed up, though I'm not sure I'm willing to put enough pressure on it to get it to move. Too scared I'll break the cast hub. I can cut a pipe and slip it over the shaft and use the nut to try and pull the shaft out while I push on the back of the hub right at the shaft. But that's only going to give me so much power. I also have a hydraulic press. I can heat the hub which should help. I can heat the hub and cool the shaft but then I'm concerned about temp-shock to the cast and breaking it again. I've about convinced myself to drill out the old one and turn a new one from scratch. Least chance of something going wrong I think.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yeah, drill it. Good idea.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

windybob wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:25 pm That mill is originally made by Woodmanse. I think that's the last one F/M bought from them to sell. I have only 1, and it's a 6 footer. I have not worked on it yet, so my feeble knowledge is well....feeble. Looks like you have a good start. When you get a diagram, learn the oil passages, and make sure they are clean. Some Woodmanse mills have hard to find passages.
You might be more help to me than you think if you'll let me bug you. The parts list for the 6 and 8 foot mills are almost identical. Having the potential to pick your brain on what yours looks like would be a huge help indeed. Thankfully, what I'm missing is springs mostly. Might be a little guessing and checking on sizes and strength/etc. but I can source a bunch of those cheap and try them out.

I'm working on the shaft, but I'm also looking at my missing pieces. I'm lacking the brake shoe but I'm going to try and make a small truck parking break shoe work. The other part on my list is the oil pump lifter. I have a couple of details that show it, but not well. The few photos of Model 45's I've found either don't show enough detail, or they're missing the lifter as well. The brake shoe makes sense to be worn out and gone. I can't figure out where the lifter falls through the cracks on these.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Let me try to remember to give mine a looksie tomorrow. If you could post that literature, it could be put in the library section for others who need it. ( like me) lol
windybob

Post by windybob »

See if this helps.... All the parts on mine start with a 6. I'm sure that means a 6 footer. However, the darn case is as big and weighs as much as an 8 foot case. The case number also starts with a 6.

Here are a couple pics of the brake shoe. it hinges on a bolt at the top, and the arm activates it by being in the square hole at the bottom.
mod 45 brake shoe.jpeg
mod 45 brake shoe 2.jpeg
mod 45 inside hub.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Next, is the oil pump, but still in the case. My guess to remove it is to take out the jam-bolt ( in the circle) and then either unscrew or pull out the tube with the threaded pump-rod. You will need to remove the crosshead to do this. Don't know about yours, but the oiler tube in mine is rusted, so it's probably really rooted in tight.

#1 is the crosshead.
#2 is one guide rod.
#3 is the pumprod. The top of it is threaded, looks like fine threads. The hole in the crosshead is also threaded to accept it. Mine is unscrewed! don't know how it got that way, I didn't take it apart. See in the circle.
#4 is the tube for the oil pump. It's held in by a lock-bolt.

mod 45 oiler ed.jpg

#1 is the pump housing tube. Lock stud is in the circle.
#2 is pumprod. Should be hollow, and pumps oil to the top of the crosshead. Most likely
there is a ball-check down there somewhere.
Once again, I don't know how to get the pump tube out of the case. Maybe if you take the bullgears out you can get a better idea. ???
mod 45 oiler housing ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

WindyBob- the pictures of the brake are very helpful. I’ll be able to work with that. The pictures of your oiler though, leave me with more questions. Yours looks very different than mine. Or maybe I’m just not looking at your photo right.

I have taken the top cross-bar off of mine and pulled the Oiler just out of curiosity. Back out the set screws and tap everything loose. Thankfully, nothing on mine is frozen up (except the hub on the shaft). Speaking on the hub. It actually just does fit in my little lathe. I’ve got it drilled out to 1/2”. Waiting on a set of boring bars to finish up. Then I can start on a new one.
Last edited by FlJet on Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Thank you again Todd for the packet you sent me. This is a cross section diagram from there.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Uh oh. Looks like a different windmill head than mine! What does your helmet look like? I will post a picture of mine later.
Todd

Post by Todd »

FlJet: The gearbox you have looks a LOT like a Samson Airflow gearbox. If I get a chance, I will see if I can find some pics of one for comparison.