Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
FlJet

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by FlJet »

Spent some time researching welding cast iron last night. Plenty of opinions, plenty of options. Wire, TIG, 7018 rod, nickel rods, etc. also ran across plenty of weld failures. Last thing I want to do is to try and weld this thing up and end up cracking it. I’ve got a buzz-box, and access to the other options, but I can also buy a package of epoxy (JB Weld) and keep the oil from dripping out the front of this thing.

What weld technique has worked best for you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

NI99 stick rod for me. Have not cracked a case yet. Other things, yes, case, no. Cold-weld it. Hit it, chip it, count to 50, repeat. In this area, for me, it's easier to put it on, than to take it off. Doesn't look like it needs much.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Looks like NI99 rod is available pretty cheap on Amazon. And I have the option of buying as little as 5 rods. Which is great for me since this is the first, and maybe the last, cast I've had the chance to weld. No point buying 5 pounds of the stuff to let it sit and get ruined. It would be different if I had a rod oven and proper storage. My stuff lives out in the barn and the humidity here in FL kills my welding rods pretty quick if I don't use them up. I don't weld often, and when I do I just buy a small pack of what I need and expect to toss the rest when I'm through. Looks like these rods can be run on AC, DC or DC Reverse so no worries there.

What diameter rod and what amperage do you typically run?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Pretty cheap? Really? No so here. Send me a link.

1/8 is what I use. Reverse current, amperage, not sure. I use one setting for everything.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

FlJet wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:58 am Looks like NI99 rod is available pretty cheap on Amazon. And I have the option of buying as little as 5 rods. Which is great for me since this is the first, and maybe the last, cast I've had the chance to weld. No point buying 5 pounds of the stuff to let it sit and get ruined. It would be different if I had a rod oven and proper storage. My stuff lives out in the barn and the humidity here in FL kills my welding rods pretty quick if I don't use them up. I don't weld often, and when I do I just buy a small pack of what I need and expect to toss the rest when I'm through. Looks like these rods can be run on AC, DC or DC Reverse so no worries there.

What diameter rod and what amperage do you typically run?
I store my rods and other welding stuff all together in an old refrigerator that has a good seal on it. I have rods still good after 5 or 6 years.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

$12.99 for 5 rods of NI99 1/8". Probably not so cheap if you're using a ton of it, but I won't need all 5 rods for my repair. Amazon prices things funny sometimes. No discount for buying a pound of rods in this case. It's actually more expensive per ounce to buy it by the pound.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Paul I'd be in a lot better shape than I am if I'd just buy a cheap sealed rod holder. It wouldn't even take up much more space on the shelf than a box of rods does now.

I weld so little though that it works out ok to just buy what I need, when I need it. I do keep a small store of 6011 and 7018 rods handy for emergency repairs, though the need rarely happens. My father in law does a lot more welding than I do. Typically I dump any extra rods in his cabinet when I'm through with my project and let him burn them.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I used to buy 2 lbs for about 50 bucks. I think it's about twice that now.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Finally getting the chance to get back into this. I spent too much time hunting through the scrap pile looking for a piece of 1-1/8" round bar. Found some 1", and some 1-1/4", but finally decided to quit being so cheap and just buy a new shaft. Ordering Ni99 rods this morning, and my replacement shaft blank, plus some new tooling for the lathe/mill and a rod storage tube so I'll quit ruining my welding rods. It should all be here in the next week or two. My goal is to have this thing up on top of the tower by the end of the year. Selecting and buying a pump and getting it installed will be a spring project.

Before I weld, I imagine I'm going to need to heat this up to burn off all the oil. Do you heat it till it quits smoking, or till it starts to glow, or...?
windybob

Post by windybob »

You can heat up areas, but it depends on thickness, where the area is, how hot, etc. etc. Or you could put the whole thing in the oven, and turn it up to 500+ for a while. Or you can just weld like I said, weld it "cold" by welding, waiting, welding, waiting. This is where you do NOT want be hurried. Let the heat dissipate throughout the case before hitting it again. Of course, there is my disclaimer, because I don't have a clue what you are going to do. . I've never cracked a case, but have cracked several parts, like bullgears, and thin stuff like that.