Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by windybob »

Looks like your head has the same kind of oil pump that the Stover Model M and S has, and maybe even the Air Flow mills. I don't have an Air Flow, so just guessing. So parts should be available. I have a bunch of Stover heads, most are froze up so getting parts might be tough from them. Next week I will see if I can get an 8 ft head apart enough to get you an oil pump lifter and little BB ball for it.

On another note, my head was Hunter Green. Under a bolt head I see the color as it was from the factory.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Is this what you need? 16 inches long, 3/4 outside dia. The piece on top is the broken guide rod tie. I think the inside tube is frozen. I will start soaking it tomorrow.

stover oil pump ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

I’ve been wondering what color this thing was originally. Mine has been repainted an uninteresting silver. Might need to change that.

On the oil pump lifter. That looks a lot like my oil pump, but it’s not actually the part I’m missing. Thankfully nothing seems to be frozen on mine. I need to clean everything up and see if it will actually still pump oil though.

The part I’m missing is labeled #48 “oil pump lifter”. Best I can tell it’s horseshoe shaped and I THINK it bolted to the top of roller crosshead. Again, I think it lifted the ring on top of the oil pump with every stroke.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think what that does , is distribute the oil to both sides of the roller crosshead. (therefore the U shape) The ones I have for the Stover mod M is shaped different, but does the same thing.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

I’ve got a couple of ideas in mind that I’m going to try and mock up. Hoping to jump back on this project this weekend. Busy part of the year though- 3 kids back in school, start of hunting season, and I just hauled a palm tree home that I need to get in the dirt. Plus my house got struck by lightning a couple weeks back and I’m still finding stuff that died as a result. Cordless drill charger was the last fatality I came across. My mad-money has gone towards replacing stuff instead of into the mill. Thankful to still have a house though.

How do the Stover mills stroke the oil pump up and down?
windybob

Post by windybob »

I got the oil pump apart today. Let me see if I can get some pictures of it tomorrow.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok, got some pictures to post. Stay tuned.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Okay, this is the parts breakdown for the mod M Stover, and possibly other Stovers also.
Stover M oil pump parts 1 ed.jpg
This is what it looks like assembled.
Stover M oil pump parts 2 ed.jpg
Stover M oil pump parts 3 ed.jpg
This is a better view on one I did months ago.
Stover M oil pump parts 5 ed.jpg
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

So I guess Woodmanse incorporated a lot of Stover parts/ideas. Your Stover M looks like identical parts to my model 45. Cleaner, and prettier. That's a nice rebuild man! And I love the safety wire on the crosshead tie set screws. I didn't happen to notice holes in my bolt heads. Is that a thing on these mills, or just a thing you do? I did notice on your model 45 and your Stover M that your hood is held on with a stud coming off the center of the crosshead tie. Like an air cleaner cover. Mine has tabs on the bottom of the two short side of the hood and it through-bolts to holes on the mill casting. Does that top hole tend to leak rain water into the mill?

The item you have labeled as "oil trough" is the part I'm missing and have been trying to imagine. The literature I have just shows a horseshoe shaped piece, without the guide portion that rides around the oil pump outer tube. That was part of what was confusing me, I couldn't understand how that didn't bend and snap off over time cantilevered off the roller crosshead like that with just a single bolt on each side. I'm assuming those are bolts that I have to remove. I pointed to them with a screwdriver in an earlier photo I posted. Not much left of them on mine. Your photos give me a lot to go on to re-make this part though. Now I just need to find some shop-time and make it happen.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't think those are bolts, I saw them on mine, and they are just tabs that the trough sits on.

Once again i now think there were several renditions of this mill. I think I might have an early model, with the sliding crosshead, different oil pump, helmet tie-down, etc. I also continued to take mine apart yesterday, and it is horribly slow. Everything in the head is froze / locked / rusted/ tight. I have YET to find a bearing of any sort. So far it's steel-on-cast, and totally locked up. I have cut, drilled, hit, smacked, turned, and everything else trying to get this thing apart, and so far, so good. The shafts were either cheaply hardened, or were crap steel loaded with hard spots. Half the time the drill went fine, the other half were hard spots all over. If I would have saved all the hard spots I hit, I could have filled a coffee can with them. lol

You might have a type of oil trough that was maybe a 2-piece type. What you point to in the cut-away parts drawing is the kind I pictured. The one in the parts list is different. I guess it depends on the roller crosshead, which kind it was made to fit or not. I'm thinking i could send you this one I have, and you could try it, if it works good. It is cut away in all the places it needs to fit around the wheel. You might send me a measurement of center to center on the guide rods, and I'll check mine also.