Gas Generator Armature to Windmill conversion

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
bjmurrey

Gas Generator Armature to Windmill conversion

Post by bjmurrey »

Hey guys, I'm new to windmills, but have been off grid on solar for 6+ years. I want a windmill to power my battery bank during overcast days and night time, etc. I am going to build one diy, but I'm not savvy on all the wind power as I am on solar.

My idea is to take an armature from a 3500/4000 watt portable gas generator (engine is blown) and use it as the generator for the turbine. I have a few questions, and you probably have answers to questions I haven't thought of yet.

1. Is it worth doing? Why / why not? (buy a kit or use other DC motor instead?)
2. How large a diameter of blades do I need to make it produce enough rpms to make useful power?
3. Even if I never get 3500 W out of it, I'm shooting for a minimum of 500w+ production, but would like 1000w+ Suggestions?

Thanks peoples! :)
windybob

Re: Gas Generator Armature to Windmill conversion

Post by windybob »

That has been asked many times. The short answer is most likely not.

Maybe Ron can find his previous post on this topic, and repost it for you.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

You have to understand that this forum (for the most part) is about those old water pumping farm windmills (up and down stroke) and the old wind powered generators from the 20's and 30's (24v & 36v I think).

You might be better served looking up forums for wind turbines etc. Don't take it the wrong way, its not that we don't want you here ... just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations. If you are off grid and buy an old water pumping windmill ... we'll be all over helping you get it restored.
Thanks,
Ed
bjmurrey

Post by bjmurrey »

no worries guys - thank you so much. :)
windybob

Post by windybob »

My neighbor up the street tried that, but by the time he got it to work, Rube Goldberg would have been proud. He ran into issues gearing it to spin the alternator enough to make it charge. When he did, the torque was such that he had to change it from belt to chain drive. He finally got it to work somewhat. Then a windstorm came in, and blew it over. Seems he had the anchors only a foot or so in the ground. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If you go to the windcharger forum contact Mike Werst he is the Windcharger expert lives close to Austin. On one of the relpys he tells that they found out props like on an airplane did a better job generating than windmill type blades.