Lead washerd

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Steve in Va

Lead washerd

Post by Steve in Va »

I'm ready to install the fan blades on the 8' Aermotor. Baker's book talks of installing lead washers onto the wheel arm before it is screwed into the wheel hub.

What purpose do these washers serve? I don't have those washers. If something is needed then I do have lots of small rubber O-rings. I can't really see why these lead washers are needed.

TIA
windybob

Re: Lead washerd

Post by windybob »

I won't use them. I've taken too many wheels apart that used to have them, and all they are is beat-out with only a small piece left behind. On hubs that are not "timed" to the spoke, they supposed to take up any room if the spoke winds up being in 'time' with the wheel band, but not quite screwed in the hub all the way. I usually try different thicknesses of small steel washers if I need to.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Steve in Va

Post by Steve in Va »

Based on the belief that the only stupid question is the one not asked, what exactly is meant by "timed"? I can imagine that, since any pair of legs have tabs that need to fasten together by overlapping, that "timing" refers to failing to meet this overlap when the leg is seated. If the leg is screwed in to seat but the tabs are out of alignment, then the washer allows for backing the leg out a bit. Am I on the right path?
TIA
windybob

Post by windybob »

The spoke has the tab that needs to be in the right position that when the rails, (bands) meet one bolt goes thru the 3 items. Original Aermotor has the right threads in the hub, and the right threads on the spoke, that when the spoke is screwed in fully, the tab is in line with the inner bands. This is called "timed" spokes and hub. A lot of other makers don't make the timed items so it's a crap-shoot if they fit right or not. There are ways to get even out of timed items to time properly. The lead washers were an idea once. But once you tighten the spoke, if you back it off any, the lead stays crushed, ergo a loose spoke.

IF... you have an original Chicago Aermotor, or a good clone-brand, your spokes are probably so close of a fit that it will be fine. If not holler back.
Steve in Va

Post by Steve in Va »

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, it is a Chicago made unit. The rods do match right up so I was confused about why the lead washers were needed. Thanks again.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Dakota windmill sales a timeable spoke for rebuilds. I love using them when applicable.
http://dakotawindmill.com/1917143.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Steve in Va

Post by Steve in Va »

To date. First attempt to attach a photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Steve, the windmill is upside down. All the oil will run out.

ALso.... Lots of windmills have the wheel built separately, then you can bolt it to the mill hub. Not so with Aermotor. You must build the wheel on the hub piece by piece. So... you might not want to erect the mill without assembling the wheel on it first.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:11 pm I won't use them. I've taken too many wheels apart that used to have them, and all they are is beat-out with only a small piece left behind. On hubs that are not "timed" to the spoke, they supposed to take up any room if the spoke winds up being in 'time' with the wheel band, but not quite screwed in the hub all the way. I usually try different thicknesses of small steel washers if I need to.
Windy,

Good information. My question is, if you use a small steel washer to take up the room between the spoke and the hub, will this throw off the alignment of the wheel because the end of the spoke is longer now where it connects to the outer wheel band? Hope this make since.

JB
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
windybob

Post by windybob »

Jerry, think about this.......if the spoke is out of time, it is ALWAYS less than a full turn. So 1/16 or 1/8 is nothing to the overall length of the spoke. I just did one yesterday. 3 spokes took a steel washer. The wheel went together perfect.