Sears and Roebuck Champion (Stover): Project lost cause

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
TomsWaterPumper

Tom here, new to windmills

Post by TomsWaterPumper »

I had seen these things around California farms while growing up, most have disappeared. While out on a scenic drive in the Central Valley, I came across several working Aermotor set ups on remote horse property, and started researching them, reading, youtube videos, etc.

I have some property in Arizona that my wife and I are planning to retire to in the next 3yrs, it has a new well, we are putting up a new dbl wide mobile and shop, I'd like to put up a working windmill. I have been looking around for an inexpensive one, which means a project, and found an unusual Sears and Roebuck Champion, picked it up. It's in pretty tough shape. This should be interesting. I hope to learn about windmills from some of the folks on hear, and share some of the mechanical knowledge I have, as well. Cheers!
Wayne

Re: Tom here, new to windmills

Post by Wayne »

Welcome! You came to the right spot. There is a lot of knowledge flowing around this site. Someone will know about your Champion.
TomsWaterPumper

Sears and Roebuck Champion (Stover): Project lost cause

I just picked up my first windmill project, a pretty beat up and dismantled gearbox head unit and wheel, with several bent vanes. I'm a glass is half full guy, at least half the vanes are almost perfect!

Typical Craigslist find "Complete" he says "My dad was going to rebuild it, had it for 20yrs, then recently passed. I know It's all there". Well, I could see a few issues from the pics, namely the broken connecting rods and weld repaired cross slider deal (not sure of the part name yet). I think it's an 8ft, but will confirm that. It might turn out to be a pile of mis-matched parts, not sure yet.

I think the first order of business is to figure out what exactly I have. I've searched pictures and compared, I can read the faded writing on the vane, Sears and Roebuck, Champion. I have not been able to match up the hub or gearbox designs, but my guess is it's Stover.

I'll put up some pictures, maybe you guys can help me identify what I've got?
TomsWaterPumper

Re: Sears and Roebuck Champion (Stover): Project lost cause

Pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

First of all, welcome! How deep is the water level in the well? That's what determines the size of the windmill. The deeper it pumps from, the larger the windmill. Sears sold windmills from other companies that made them, because Sears did not. Post a picture of the mill, we will ID it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
TomsWaterPumper

The gearcase has 'Sears and Roebuck' along with a casting and patent numbers cast into it from whatever foundry cast it. The shaft is there, hubs too, but locked up from sitting for at least 20yrs.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That is most likely a Stover Model M windmill from the years around the 40's. I would not rule out a very early one, as it has a sliding crosshead instead of a roller wheel type. I think they had different kinds of Mod M's. Something don't look right on the backside of the head. Not sure what I mean yet. Need to check mine tomorrow to compare.
If it's a true Mod M, there are no bearings in it, just steel shafts on cast. That's ok, it's done in mills all the time. It just makes it MURDER to get apart if it's froze up. That one looks pretty solid to me. Lots of rust on the inside. Can you get a pic of the back of the case please? Would like to see the tail pin design.

Nice tail! Enough to see to re-stencil. Keep it inside so the sun don't fade it any more.

Do you have the broken pitman arms? They can be welded.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Welcome
Thanks,
Ed
TomsWaterPumper

windybob wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:55 pm Do you have the broken pitman arms? They can be welded.
Both pitman arms are broken and 90% missing. The only thing left is the broken off cup ends, stuck to the two large driven gears. I'll pop those off this rusty lump and take a look see.

If this isn't a lost cause, and I continue with this thing, I figured I'd measure the stub diameters and figure out the approximate length, then look around for a used serviceable /repairable pair. Worst case I'll machine a pair. That'll come later.

Bob, you've rebuilt serveral of these things, right? At what point is the 'juice not worth the squeeze'?

It's no family heirloom of mine, do I get the shaft out first, then move forward?
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Tom Welcome to the forum. Hope all is well out west.