Baker WB & three leg tower issue

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Jim Corcoran

Baker WB & three leg tower issue

Post by Jim Corcoran »

I have a Baker head plate and storm stay for a three leg tower that will not match my 60 degree angle legs. I assume that Baker used 90 degree angle on their three leg towers, which would indicate that the girts, tower plates, etc. had to have their ends bent to fit. I want to mount my Baker WB on the three leg Stover tower I have but right now it doesn’t look like a simple task. Does anyone happen to have a Baker three leg tower (specifically the head end) that could provide some measurements, images, advice, etc.? I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
mtblah

Re: Baker WB & three leg tower issue

Post by mtblah »

jim, drive down to New Braunfels and look at my 3 legged tower.
it is down on a trailer so measuring and looking is easier.
i have a shoulder immobilizer on now so all of life is limited.
we are 1 mile off I-35 easy to get to.
Mike Blahnik
254-717-5588 or mtblah@sbcglobal.net
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wow, how complicated for this simple and feeble mind.

You want to put a Stover tower on a Monitor bed plate? Stover is 60 degree legs? and you need 90 Dg legs?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Mike,
Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it possibly this coming week. I have a crew scheduled to set up my F & W 37 & tower this coming week but not sure what days. Depends on their schedule and the weather.

Bob,
Yes, I realize 90 degree angle legs should work but without some drawing, diagram, or image, I can't see how the legs attach to the head plate. The other issue is the extra work to fabricate girts and head plates with special bends when I already have a complete 3 leg tower with 60 degree legs. I'm still trying to take the path of least resistance.

Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Post by windybob »

Let me see what I can find tomorrow, depending on the weather. I think I have a 3 legged stub tower.
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

I have 90 degree legs on Romeo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Hey Jim, does this help? The Monitor tower top casting is made for 3 or 4 legs. Tabs like this can be bolted to it.
stub tower 2.jpeg
stub tower 1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
Thanks for the images. That looks like a good set up for 90 degree angle. I don't know enough about Baker but am guessing that is the actual Baker arrangement.

I was today shown a way to attach my Baker head plate (designed for 90 degree angle) to my three 60 degree tower legs. I need to fabricate a piece as an interface to both the Baker head plate and the three Baker tower plates. It is a piece of 1/2" plate 8" in diameter with holes matching the mounting holes for both the tower plates and the head plate. This will allow me to use all the Baker parts I have and mount everything to my Stover tower. Issue resolved.

Thanks all for the help.

Jim
windybob

Post by windybob »

Great Jim! Glad you have it figured out!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy is that ice and snow I see? Burrrr