Introduction

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Rambus

Introduction

Post by Rambus »

Thanks for adding me to the group. I live in central Michigan and my wife and I own a Aermotor A602 Steel tower mill. Very proud of it, we got it from my parents several years ago, the mill has been in the family for around 45-50 years. Its in great shape and believe it or not but no bullet holes. Looking forward to learning more about windmills from everyone.
mtblah

Re: Introduction

Post by mtblah »

Welcome aboard !
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Welcome aboard. Already replied to your PM, just shout if you need a hand. Looks you are only about an hour (or so) away from me.
Thanks,
Ed
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Welcome aboard. Not many Aermotor's around here that some one didn't put a bullet hole in something on it. I have three on three different farms and they all have some bullet holes in them and I didn't put any of holes in them.
Last edited by hedgerow on Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rambus

Post by Rambus »

:D :D
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Rambus! Glad you're here!
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes welcome! From around 1916 to 1933 The 602 model was one of the best designed and usable model of all windmills. They are still up and running in some places, and the 8 ft (or A) sized was most popular.

Anything you would care to know, just ask. Lots of info here, and also in the library section.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

To follow Windy's theme ...
I would expect that if you were to travel between Rambus and I, over 90% of the windmill relics you will see are Aermotors and 90% of the Aermotors will be 602s. You might see remnants of a F&W here and there, generally just a Star 24 or 27 gearbox left on the tower (if that). For the working mills (99.9% Amish) mostly 702s and a couple of Star 37s that I know of.

99.9% of all the mills will be 8'. I have only ever found parts of one mill that was >8' ... and that was one wheel section of a 16'. We just don't have to go far to get to water in Michigan, I suspect the 16' was for a municipality or something.

Generally, if I see a non Aermotor listed for sale ... it will be well south of me.

Enough babbling for one day!
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

To follow-follow Eds theme, Not so with the size / type of mills here. Most of our water is less than 100 ft, much around 30 - 40. Windmills are based on the depth of water / how much water is desired. As a result, 90% of our mills are 6 foot. 10% are 8, and..... 10 footers maybe , but only in vaneless varieties. ( Monitor L )

Kinds of mills? We have an amazing variety of models here. Either the salesmen all new there were (A) many good customers needing a mill, or (B) many single Farm ladies needing assistance. There are mills here of all types. Very few companies skipped this area.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Wow, I knew you had mentioned you had a lot of 6 foot mills .. I never realized it was that high of a %. Actually I had always thought it interesting when you mentioned so many 6' mills and I see mainly 8's ... because our water levels are pretty similar. My house well is at 60 or 80 with a static water level of 20'.
Thanks,
Ed