Looking for some Help

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Bgaetz

Re: Looking for some Help

Post by Bgaetz »

Thanks for the help. Looking at this and mine I believe you both are correct. Tail frame looks to be bent so I plan to start off by straightening that. It also looks like the buffer "spring cushion" is also bent and not hitting where it is suppose to leading to the vane touching the wheel. I am going to try straightening that as well but not sure it will work.
If that doesn't is there a place to get parts for these things or would a person just try to piece it together seeing it looks like a bolt and spring??
Captainjimmy2

Post by Captainjimmy2 »

Paul
That is exactly what the structure of my windmill looks like and I now see where the spring should be attached.
My other question was. Where does the the rope, chain attach to operate the brake?

Thanks for your help.

Captain jimmy
Bgaetz

Post by Bgaetz »

Thanks for the help everyone. Does anyone know where to get parts for these old windmills? I would be looking for the buffer "Spring cushion".
windybob

Post by windybob »

Down here, south of the border, parts would like trying to find hens' teeth. Hopefully you guys up there can solve the parts issue! Good Luck!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Bgaetz

Post by Bgaetz »

Hey everyone. I am getting ready to stand up my windmill but I was thinking I should lubricate the head first. Is there oil or something I should be putting in or what steps should I be doing before I stand it up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
windybob

Post by windybob »

What I would do is grease or oil everything that moves on anything else. Well, except the brake band. You can't add oil to the head unless it's upright. Not sure if there is a oil full indicator on that head, but usually 2 quarts fills an 8 ft head. I don't have one of those, so I'm not positive, but that usually works.

BE CAREFUL!
Bgaetz

Post by Bgaetz »

Does it matter what type of oil to use?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Most windmills take a 5 or 0 weight non detergent oil.
I have used regular red ATF with no issues for many years. I know it has detergent, but I trade that for the oil not getting gummy after a while.
The oil needs to remain thin, even in the winter, so that it flows back through the returns to the sump.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Bryon, here in south Texas we use red ATF, stays consistent in HOT weather and stays fluid in COLD weather,
yes this past winter we got to 19 degrees for a week, set new records for cold .
windmill stayed working .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX