New Guy, thanks for the add- Heller aller question

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
windybob

Re: New Guy, thanks for the add- Heller aller question

Post by windybob »

Looks like the MOD 6 has (or had) at one time, an actual seal of sorts. A case I have looks to have a pressure plate on the front, bolted to the front, with a compression seal behind it. ( like felt, or rope.)

I can NOT find a mod 8 case with a seal, I checked a few I had. They all look like this, without a seal......

Mod 8 snout.jpeg

I did take a Mod 8 apart some time ago, didn't find the hub / shaft, but had the front bearing which slips in the case front. In the front of that, there is an oil-return, ( inside circle, where the yellow box is) that goes under the cast "bearing" race for the shaft. The blue arrow shows a washer-like flange just inside, the last defense against oil leaks. It is either steel or cast. NOT rubber.. Oh..I do remember now, where the hub / shaft went. I sold it. And I don't remember if there was some kind of bump or higher place on the shaft to sling oil off inside the snout.

Mod 8 inside snout ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Howard2244

Post by Howard2244 »

it looks like a seal cup is pressed in from the outside- possibly acting like a dam to redirect oil back to the oil return galley? That would support no actual seal material??
windybob

Post by windybob »

There is no seal, no packing, no anything. Not unusual. many don't have a seal. remember, there is no oil pressure. Just gravity flow. If the return is open, the oil flows back readily. How it' slings' off the shaft is another story.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Howard2244

Post by Howard2244 »

Thanks Bob