Cwatts22 New member

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Cwatts22

Cwatts22 New member

Post by Cwatts22 »

Hi everyone! Glad to find this forum. I just purchase a 6' Fairbury #7 from a gentlemen in Kansas. The mill was still standing. I was able to lower it and bring it home with no problems. The mill seems to be fairly good condition for something nearly 100 years old. The fan and tail had little to no damage. The motor seems a little on the loose side. I'm new to windmills but i'm going to recondition this mill and set it over a well. I'm sure i'm going to need new pinion gears(small gears) and would appreciate anyone who might have a set or know where to look for a set. I've always been fascinated by windmills and always wanted to own one so here we go. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
windybob

Re: Cwatts22 New member

Post by windybob »

Welcome to the site. Hope you get the help you need! It's amazing that your Fairbury is only "a little loose". I would think it would be well worn. However, good for you. Those slant-cut gears are the killer to aquire, however there are jillions of Fairburys around. If someone has one that can be dismantled , and not worn out, or rusted solid, you may get lucky. D. Beetly up in Nebraska had tons of those, but sold them all to .......I forget now. Hopefully someone can fill your request.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Calvin! Lots of folks here to help.

Post pics of your mill when you have time.

Where are you located on Oklahoma? We're just outside of Tulsa in Collinsville.
PaulV
Cwatts22

Post by Cwatts22 »

Thanks for the replies, any help would be appreciated. I am new to windmills but have fairly good mechanical knowledge. The mill had a baker standard below it. It was over a hand dug well. I took the standard apart and it seems to be in good condition. Is there anywhere that you can buy parts for theses, I need a new packer nut and packing rope. PaulV, I live in southeast ok Antlers area. I will try to post some pics.
Cwatts22

Post by Cwatts22 »

E79F5C14-EC11-4E8D-B01F-28F3FFB7A460.jpeg
A81E3FA6-0390-48EE-9D98-A724B30CB4E6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cwatts22

Post by Cwatts22 »

Hope these pics show up. I’m kinda new to this tech stuff
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Nice mill. Good find there.
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

here....hope you don't mind....

abced.jpg
abcded.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Don't know how much you want to spend, but if you can't find any used gears there is a machine shop in California that can make gears. I had some cut for one of my mills. They advertise in the Windmillers Gazette. Phone num is 530-644-3008 ask for Ellen or Paul
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wayne, don't forget, those are them angle-cut gears.