Windmill Rookie

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
ShekaBros

Windmill Rookie

Post by ShekaBros »

Greetings Everybody,
I was looking online for some info on restoring our windmill and came across this forum, so got registered and here I am! My interest is in learning about and restoring the old windmill at our family farm in northern Iowa, just south of the MN border.

I have attached some pics, but I know absolutely nothing about it. None of us can remember it having a tail or blades, and they are nowhere to be found.

1. Is there any way to tell what brand of windmill it was by the tower, or weren't towers brand specific?

2. The tower is in good shape, and I like the old look to it. What are your opinions on restoring (trying to use as much of the old as possible) vs. using the tower but installing all new parts above? While it is on a working farm, it doesn't necessarily need to pump water, but the pump is still there, so it would be kind of cool if it did.

I'm sure I will have LOTS of questions for you guys once we get into this project, but for now just wanted to get registered, send the pics, and say hello!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Windmill Rookie

Post by windybob »

Welcome! Wow, tall tower! They don't grow that tall around here.

Appears to be an early Monitor tower. Not a Monitor head, I don't recognize it, but it's NOT Monitor. The head is on a stubtower, which is bolted to the tower legs. That's common. Originally, it would have had a Monitor mill on it, but when it wore out, someone switched it over, for any number of reasons.

I call those steps gut rippers. they are notorious for sliding down the leg when you step on them, causing you to slide on the one next up the leg.

You can probably check the well to see if it's any good. Does the well have a pipe casing coming up? Is it a hand-dug well? Do you see any water? Starting from scratch with any outfit raises a lot of questions.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

On second look, the head looks to be an Aermotor 602 model. MAde from 1916 till 1933.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Windybob that does look like a 602 but the bonnet doesn't.was the bonnet on a 502 different.Also i believe that's a old aermoter tower with those cast steps like the one i had
windybob

Post by windybob »

I saw that. I think the helmet just got squished or something. The V arm for the wheel is bent back straight, so maybe it got tornadoed or something. I'm pretty sure it's a Monitor tower, they are notorious for having no X bracing in the top section. Appears to be an Aermotor platform, but you can see where the stub tower is bolted on, if you look carefully.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If it is an Aermotor tower I'd bet there is some stenciling on it somewhere. The old tower I found close to me had it on the inside of one of the bottom legs. I agree about it being a Aermotor 602.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Guys go to windmill parts . com.Go to tower identification then under aermoter the top to pics show the tower and steps like the one i had and compare
windybob

Post by windybob »

Lots of reasons why it's a Monitor tower. I can make a list. But we will see in time. :D
ShekaBros

Post by ShekaBros »

Windybob, Windcatcher, and Wayne...thank you very much for taking a look at the pics and your comments. Interesting following your discussion. I will get some more pics and look for identification on the tower legs. I am not a real fan of heights, so will try to make it to the top without chickening out. Thanks again, I appreciate it!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Easy on the steps until you are sure they will take your weight. They tend to slide down. Also, take an extra to the top. Looks like there's a space that could use one. No girt to step on.

Careful! Wear a safety belt or harness. You need to report back from the ground, not the hospital.