First Timer Baker Windmill Restoration

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
b3stearns

First Timer Baker Windmill Restoration

Post by b3stearns »

Greetings,

Brad here in Sioux Falls, SD. I'm working on an acreage development and just purchased from what I can tell a Baker "wishbone" windmill. I think it's in pretty rough shape but grew up with my Dad restoring antique tractors so have some experience with this age of equipment.

Obviously I need to get the tower structure straightened out and reinforced/sections replaced which shouldn't be too bad.

Not sure if it's possible to purchase new fan blades but I do have a CNC table that I can easily manufacture the blades/parts on. If anyone has specs that would help greatly or if anyone needs parts made I'm happy to make gears, blades etc out of either metal or plastic.

As for the mechanics, I opened up the gearbox and it operates freely and was well oiled. For parts that I need I'm not sure. The goal is to get it operational and use it on the two large ponds we just dug.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
b3stearns

Re: First Timer Baker Windmill Restoration

Post by b3stearns »

Here are some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
b3stearns

Post by b3stearns »

This is all the info I could find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks for joining!
Not sure just what you have, the name Baker, and Wishbone don't go together for me. However, I would never say there's not such a thing.
If you could put up some pictures, that would help a lot. Baker mills, or Baker Mfg Co get confused a lot, so positive ID is essential.
Sounds like a great project! Where is the top of the water in a well? Do you have one drilled, or there you could measure? The sixe of the mill depends on the depth of the water.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well never mind, you just did. LOL

Ok, that is a Hambone ( slang) made by Baker Mfg Co. Looks to be an 8 footer. Those were made from 1924 until 1936. They were made in a 6 1/2 ft. an 8 ft. and 10 ft. Those are also known as ship anchors for aircraft carriers, they are so heavy. LOL
The wheel (fan) consists of 6 sections or 3 sails each. Those wheels are mostly interchangable all the up to current Monitor mills of the same size and section count. Monitor is the actual name of the mills from Baker.
Those mills were very common and parts should be available. Before you take the head apart, you should know there are tricks. Ask and you shall receive when it's time.

* the reason they call it a Hambone, is that the shape of the case resembles a canned ham.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Actually, that is a "style S" named mill. On the back, there is a B, a C, or a D. That is the size of the wheel and mill. It's the first self-oiling windmill made by Baker Mfg Co.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I will be out-of touch for a few days, but others here know quite a bit about those.
b3stearns

Post by b3stearns »

Wow thanks windybob! So much help so quickly. It has a "C" on the back so whatever size wheel I need and a place to get one would be great. Also I do want to take it apart so any tricks on doing that would be awesome.
windybob

Post by windybob »

sent you a private message....
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok, keep a note book.....

For starters if the hub is not broken, and all 12 tabs are on it, don't take it off the shaft.
When you look at the gears in the back, they are both threaded LEFT handed.
That mill takes 3 ( 3 or 4 inch) brass bearings. They are not quite 1/2 round.
WHen you spin the hub, look close for a bent shaft. You will see it in the hub. Those mills have a extra long mainshaft, and often get bent.
Remember, the really short bolts go to the back cover. Long bolts will bind up the mill.
Check the neckpipe for wear at the top, right under the head. The neckpipes are cast into the head when they pour it from cast iron. There are ways to replace them if it's worn too much.
The oil tube that runs outside the case in front...be careful taking it out. Regular threads in the head, but don't break it off. It's possible that the hub has rubbed on the bolt that holds it on the snout, under the hub. If the front bearing wears, the hub can rub that bolt head down. The oil tube is most always plugged up. When you clean it out, be sure to check the V shaped notch inside the head where the tube screws in. It's the oil feed pocket.
See what the bushing in the end of the neckpipe looks like. it rides on ball bearings in a ballcup under the stormstay in the tower. That ballcup should be replaced, whether it's broke or not.

That's a start. lol More info coming. Okay guys, chime in....