Hello and Help

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Joetas

Hello and Help

Post by Joetas »

Hi All,

I just obtained a barn find restorable Wincharger, which I'm planning on rebuilding. From what I can tell, It's a very early 6 volt Zenith model, that looks identical to the one in the $15 ad. Although a bit rusty, it appears to be complete, with some red paint that may be original, and the original fair condition wood propeller with copper blade facing. Except that it is missing the tail vane.

We have a lighthouse themed cabin on the Washington coast and want to set it up to power a lighthouse beacon light on the roof, and will be searching for a 6 volt Zenith farmhouse radio.

I need help getting confirmation of the model and where I can get rebuild parts. The number on the generator plate is 127059 and the number 968Y is stamped into the housing. There is a local shop that is excited about rebuilding the generator, however I want to be certain I can locate the correct parts. I also would like to find a tail vane to put the correct decal on.

Thanks for bearing with me on this first long post of mine.

Joe
mtblah

Re: Hello and Help

Post by mtblah »

Joseph, we all started with a single question.
You will be pleasantly pleased with the vast knowledge base here !
and it's free
Mike Blahnik
New Braunfels TX
Joetas

Post by Joetas »

Thanks Mike! The start will be determining the specific model from the plate # 127059
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Hi Joe
Unfortunately the Delco generator serial number doesn’t tell you the Wincharger model. If you can post or send me a picture of your 6v Wincharger, I can tell you the model. The early 6v designs changed each year in the 1930s. What you described is likely a model 37, mfg in 1937. For replacement parts, you may be better off to find a donor machine. Depends on how much you’re missing and condition. eBay and Craigslist will occasionally have parts. I have limited used parts. I do make the more common 6v tail vane shapes, laser cut and powder coated. You can check out the decals I have on the Wincharger website, link below. There’s also parts diagrams you can download under the resource category, same website. My contact info is there or listed in my profile. Sounds like a great project and a unique application. The 6v may not produce the power for a beacon light. 100w in +20mph wind, assume 20w or less on average. The radio will be a better match for the output.
https://wincharger.com/index.php/resour ... -suppliers