Happy to be a member!

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
hoosiertom

Happy to be a member!

Post by hoosiertom »

Hello to all! I was given an eight foot F&W 24 in 2014, the wheel was in great shape, but the back of the motor casting was broke and gone and it had no tail. Through the old forum, I found JK Windmills and my wife and I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with him procuring needed parts and a wealth of information. Thanks Jim. I later came to regret not knowing enough about windmills to ask intelligent questions, but you have to start somewhere. After restoration and a trip to the galvanizer, I rented a manlift to raise it to the top of the tower. I've had few experiences with more nervousness and stress. All went well.
DSC04303.JPG
Fast forward to 2016, we were able to purchase a Heller Aller. Not sure I ever found what model it is, it has the three gears that carry oil to the top. It had been chained and the wheel was shot, but the motor was in decent shape. (If I remember right, the chain was swag chain like they used to use on hanging lights) We spent an afternoon with another great windmiller and great guy Pat Hunt, procuring parts and more great information. He showed us around his entire property with many, many great windmills in various stages of restoration. It was a great afternoon. The original tower was not original to the mill, so I made a Heller Aller tension tower from scratch. Another trip to the galvanizer and it was ready to erect. I decided to put this one up by myself, just to see if I could. Having some experience really reduced the stress level. I made a gin pole to raise the parts to the top of the tower. I was never able to find design details online, so I did the best I could. It worked great, but it was a lot heavier at the end of the day getting it down than it was earlier in the day. Here is a youtube video of the install,

Sorry to be so long winded, it has taken me a long time to get here. (to be a member) In the last couple years, I've had done deals on three windmills and for one reason or another, the owners backed out. Got my eye on a Mast Foos Imperial for my next project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hoosiertom
Martinsville, Indiana
arthurwoodworks.com
JBarker

Re: Happy to be a member!

Post by JBarker »

Tom,

Welcome, what a neat story. Great job on your windmills and the video.

By the way, I would appreciate it if you could expound on your gin pole design. I'm really wanting to build one and I would appreciate any information you may share with us on the forum. Specs, lenght, pipe size, etc...how you haul it to the top of the tower. Thank you so much.

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Tom! Thanks for sharing your story :D A couple of nice mills there. I'd love to find a Heller Aller like yours. Very nice looking mill. I'm glad you're here!
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

Welcome welcome. A couple of real smart guys there to start you out. What a good story. I'd like to know what model that is also. I have several, but not sure if I have one of those.

That Imperial would be a huge 'get'. Good luck!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
hoosiertom

Post by hoosiertom »

Ok, I remember now. It was only shown in the literature as the back geared run in oil engine. I'm sure I read somewhere, it was HA's first oil bath mill. It also had oiling problems and damaged their reputation. They must be pretty rare because Pat didn't believe that was what I had.

After installing the F&W, my wife wanted an HA, so this is her mill. We have had lively discussions on which sail design is most efficient.

I'll get some pictures of the gin pole and post them in the general discussion section. I'm not sure mine is the best design, but it worked very well for me. I scoured the internet for ideas before building it and was unable to find anything definitive. Maybe my design will help. I would also be accept any suggestions for improvement. It is pretty heavy. Not knowing the strength limitations of lateral forces on the pipe, I might have gone overkill. I've only used it on the HA and I attached it to the tower before raising it. More later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hoosiertom
Martinsville, Indiana
arthurwoodworks.com
wind fab

Post by wind fab »

hoosiertom

you are alright ,your first choice to go see jim was a good one......

have you met pat hunt?

keep up the good work and great videos

thanks Paul in Canada
windybob

Post by windybob »

Interesting mill. No i don't have one of those. One of the things that looks consistant, is they didn't have a brake on that one either.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JK Windmills (RIP)

Post by JK Windmills (RIP) »

Great to see you didn't stop with just one mill! And, thanks for the compliments!

Jim
Windmillers do it in the air...
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Nice post and thanks for sharing the video.