Just signed up!

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
glentaybow

Just signed up!

Post by glentaybow »

Hello folks. I'm retired in central Florida and love to piddle out in my barn/workshop. Since retiring in 2012 I installed a solar electric photovoltaic (PV) system to supply electric power to my home, built and installed a rainwater harvest system to supply water to my home, and restored two antique farm tractors. Now, I'm in the middle of restoring a Fairbanks Morse model 45 windmill. I've learned they were built from about 1945-1951 or so by the Woodmanse windmill company for FB. I reached out to Ken O'Brock and he suggested I join the forum to learn more. He also had some good ideas for me to consider in rebuilding this old mill. I'm honored to be on this forum and look forward to perusing the different topics to learn what I can. I don't know too much about these mills and how they operate but am anxious to dive in. Thank you.
windybob

Re: Just signed up!

Post by windybob »

Welcome! You are correct about the mill being made Woodmanse. If you know how to post pictures, then you can be specific about certain areas of the mill you are interested in. I have done a couple Woodmanse mills not sure if I did one of those or not. I think your helmet is rounded over on top? Like a mailbox. I will refresh my memory at the shop tomorrow after I check the book.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
glentaybow

Post by glentaybow »

IMG_4117.jpeg
Yes, so here's an attached photo of the F-M Model 45 I'm restoring. Hope it's visible.

My tower is going to be about 25 feet above ground after installation. Going to have to rig up a gin pole to lift the mill to top of tower. Ken O'Brock shows one on his website that seems effective and easy enough to build. Bought an 8 ft wheel from outfit in South Dakota I think is where it came from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glentaybow

Post by glentaybow »

So, here's the 8 ft wheel laid out on my trailer after unpacking. I've seen some installers first lift the mill and secure it to top of tower, then lift wheel and attach to mill. Others assemble the unit as a whole on the ground and lift the combined unit to top. Not sure how I'll do this.
IMG_4486.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Lots of knowledgeable folk on here that have been helpful on restorations and repairs.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well let's see. First, I have not done one of those. I do have one though. Not even sure if that's the one with the internal gear, and the eccentric like most other Woodmanse's. ( or is it Woodmansi?) Lol

If it has the eccentric, I have poured babbitt for those, albeit a different model.

Most rigs, we set up entirely assembled, but we have a crane truck. Less to contend with with a gin pole. Is your tower up? Are your anchors set? If not, what are you lifting your tower with? Also, you should have the tower cap on the tower when setting the tower. You might substitute it for something else while working on the head. Of course, make sure the turntable has adequate clearance after putting balls in.

According to the picture, the head looks done?? Or just painted?
glentaybow

Post by glentaybow »

Hey windy. Tower not up yet. Have two tower caps. One on tower and one under mill on my stand. And yes I’ve overhauled the mill. It’s done. Just need to add oil. Regarding the tower, the one I have was removed from the woods. The legs have 24 inch wide steel disks welded to them. The weight of dirt on top of them is what keeps the windmill steady. I dug up two mills and they were both held down that way. I guess that’s one way to do it here in Florida. No concrete was used. What’s your opinion on this?
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome glentaybow! Lots of good folks here willing to help. Glad you're here :) Nice mill BTW :)
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes that's a real chore digging up anchors. Around here in the sand, (or dirt, or clay) Anchors are around 4 ft long with a foot on the bottom. Mostly no cement. However, we do add some when setting a tower. Not much about a half bag.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Welcome