Another Newbie

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Mogman

Another Newbie

Post by Mogman »

Hello all, just joined the forum, new to forum but not windmills, all my mills are vintage Aermotor.

I have 3 mills in water pumping service at this time, 2 A702s on 21' towers pulling 3 1/2" cylinders

1 B602 on its original 27' tower pulling a 3 1/2" cylinder, I was told this mill sat on the ground for over 60 years when I purchased it, the wheel shaft was badly corroded but the Babbitt was in great shape!! this mill has been back in service for about 7 years now.

I had a local machine shop build new shafts for all these mills and I removed the old shafts and pressed in the new ones so I could retain the original hubs.

I also have an F702 on the ground with a 27' tower, I am in the process of trying to lease a rig to sink a 10" casing for the F702, I plan on using an 8" cylinder on the 16 foot mill as our water table is only around 25-30'

I am also an old Ham radio guy and I have an old 40' JLG man lift to maintain antennas and the mills here on the ranch, makes a BIG difference!

I try to service the mills twice a year, I have had some issues with the oil return plugging up on the B602 about this time of year, it is in a large stand of Live Oak trees and I suspect the pollen is so fine it manages to get into the mill.
CTXmiller

Re: Another Newbie

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum. What part of the country are you located?
Smax

Post by Smax »

Welcome
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcom to the forum, Mogman. Glad you're here!
PaulV
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

Appropriately enough I have a small ranch in Papalote, TX, so destiny dictates I have windmills.
For those that don't know, Papalote means windmill in Spanish, actually it is derived from a Karankawan Indian word for "wing shaped rock" which they found along the banks of Papalote creak, about a mile south of us.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Welcome to the forum mogman
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Welcome! I found you way South.