New Kid on the block

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
windybob

Re: New Kid on the block

Post by windybob »

Wayne, there is a site I go to to check ID of towers and such. I will see if I can find out.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
HuskerRon

Post by HuskerRon »

I figured it was probably something like that since it has the ladder on the lower half and steps on the upper half. Apparently the tower is just bolted to 3 hedge posts, so no metal anchors in the ground anyway.
It looks like I am probably lucking out without even knowing it. Appears to be lots of these out there with plenty of reasonably priced parts. That is something I am NOT used to with all the cars I have restored.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Traditional anchors are 5' galvanized angle same as the tower angle. Holes are 4' deep allowing the anchor overlap to be above grade and it will look the same as the other overlaps of your tower. Anchor angle can have a foot on it or holes punched for rebar with concrete in the bottoms of the holes.

Tower height is measured by the total length of the tower angle. Pic isnt quite good enough but I would guess the height at 40' by the number of girts. Hard to be certain as you have some X braces that are 2 girts high and some one.

With the hybridization of the tower, I would leave it intact because you dont know what forces were required to get it put together. Provided of course that it is structurally good as is. If it was mine, I would shorten cutting it 5' below an overlap. That way you have anchors in place ready to go and would haul without disassembly.

Hauling a mill and tower as one is risky because you have have to block the mill and tower individually so either isnt stressed or gotten bent from the ride. So I would separate.

A lot of Dempster 12A and 12B are still in decent shape if were only used seasonally. So I would leave the head/mill assembled and only take it apart if the motor need work.

Since you are local (in the same state), I would look at it and give you my 2 cents. If I get beginning of week work done as planned, I will be leaving next week to look at 3 windmill to solar conversions in SImla and then be heading north to Torrington WY to do 3 windmill to solar conversions. I will be running the pump hoist rig but the trailer will be loaded both ways. Some time later in Oct, we will be an hour north of North Platte taking down windmills after another WY install trip and will have both rigs and maybe one empty trailer.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks Windy! I have a head crammed with useless info but I need more. The tale is if you keep your mind busy it might ward off problems down the road. So I like to try and recycle through my mind periodically while setting in my chair.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Almost forgot. Here's what I have so far, you choose....

could be this....
uswe steps.jpg
Or this....
apgoodstep.jpg
Or this....
applegood.jpg
See next post....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Or this...
uswe tower 2.jpg

There are more, but I don't think they quite match.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.