Hello Everyone

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Here-for-knowledge

Hello Everyone

Post by Here-for-knowledge »

Thanks for letting me be part of this interesting forum. I hope to pick your brains on a rebuild of a Flint and Walling 8' star 37. I have some parts that need to be replaced and or made, but I think I can make this thing work. I live in north eastern California in the mountains,(still pretty conservative here :) ). Will be using windmill to maintain water level in my 1/2 acre pond and some irrigation. This should be a fun project and looking forward to getting started.

Thanks again
windybob

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by windybob »

Glad you are asking. Do you have any reference material for your mill? Every one of those around here. (not many) have the wheel off due to an issue with oiling I think. Only one I have been into was a 7 footer for a friend. If I remember, the front of the snout was pretty tough to get apart.

How far down is your water table? 8 fts are good down to around 100 ft I think.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Here-for-knowledge

Post by Here-for-knowledge »

Thanks for getting back to me. I have downloaded the pdf from this site as well as copy of the 1937 patent info I found on internet. The internals of the motor seem to be sound. Now the hub has been Jerry-rigged, that will need to be replaced(still trying to remove it). Currently there is no brake system and that caused a major wreck of fan assembly when previous owner had it. I believe I can save the entire fan assembly. We have been in a drought for a few years, I just measured water standing at 10' below surface....seems like lots of water. I have never pumped for gallons per minute, but my deep well is at 35 gallons ++.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

I just finished restoring my first windmill, a F&W 8' Star 37. I couldn't have done it with out the help of Kenneth and some of the other windmillers on here. I'm not all that knowledgeable about F&W windmills but am glad to pass on any info I can that will be of help. Looking forward to hearing how you're doing with this project.

Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

The Star 37 is a fun project, but I can advise you to take your time.
They can be a pain to get apart, but once you accomplish that, the
whole system will make more sense. will be glad to answer any
questions you may have. There are others on this forum that I am
sure will chime in also.

Kenneth
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Here-for-knowledge. I am glad you've found us. As mentioned above, there are a lot of folks on here with a tons of knowledge and a willingness to share.

Post some pics of your project when you can. You also might consider starting a post in the projects section and keeping it up to date with your progress. Folks can provide input as you progress and hit road blocks.

Again, glad you're here!
PaulV
Todd

Post by Todd »

Welcome to the forum Here! Glad to help with parts or questions!

IMG_2506_1024x768.JPG
Welcome to the forum Here! Glad to help with parts or questions!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.