New to the site.

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Gunner

New to the site.

Post by Gunner »

Hello and thanks for letting be a part of your forum.
Long story short. Live in Texas north of Dallas, I’m from north central Kansas off a family farm. Dad didn’t want me to farm so I work on power lines now.
Got two windmills from the farm that were in cow pastures, now the pasture has been broken up for row crops. So the windmills had to go. One is an 8ft Baker/Monitor AC with tower, second is an 8ft Elgin Wonder A with tower. I also acquired a 8ft Aermotor 602 with just the stub tower.
Going to start with the Monitor first, it needs less work than the other two.
Two questions.
1. Where’s the best place to find parts for the Monitor?
2. My Mill Pipe or Mast Pipe (don’t know correct terminology) is worn where the pipe meets the bearings in the cup and where it goes through the Upper Tower Casting. Can I weld and fill these places in and have them turned back down or will that weaken the pipe because of the heat?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Wayne

Re: New to the site.

Post by Wayne »

Welcome Gunner you must live up towards my daughter who lives outside Gainesville. Be patient someone will give you the info you need. There are some real smart fellows on this site!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Welcome to the site. You have an interesting story. Glad you have the mills. The Monitor is the simplest of the group, so good starting point. The AC was the first of that particular model of mills from Baker Mfg Co. It went from 1932 to 1939. It was modified and from then on, was labeled the WC. The W was the model, and the C was the size, meaning 8 ft. The AC was similar, A being the model, and C being the size. There was a lot of crossover back and forth of parts between the two, so total interchangeable parts won't work.

Parts for AC mills are available. Post parts requests in the wanted section. I have several old AC heads around. The neckpipe is removable. You can take it out or make another. There is a set screw under the head that locks it in. With some penetrating oil, it should loosen up with a few whacks of a hammer. I have repaired these before. ALso, at the bottom of the neckpipe, there is a special bushing that mounts up the inside that is the upper bearing race for the ballcup (turntable) Once the balls wear out, it just sits there and grinds away, so if the lower end of the pipe is worn to the bolt hole that holds the bushing in, you might consider a new one.

Almost always the tower top casting is egg shaped worn also. It wouldn't hurt to check that over, and maybe size it up for a better fit for the neckpipe.

Posting pictures always helps. Please ask questions before getting out the sledge hammer.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Didn't know you were so prophetic, huh Wayne? LOL
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I may be slow but every once in awhile I catch on.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Thanks for the responses.
You are correct, Wayne. I’m North and West of Sanger about 12 miles from Gainesville.
And Windybob thanks for the information. I attached pictures of the neck pipe. There were about half the bearings in the cup. I’m still wondering if building it up and turning it back down is the best solution?
Since I have the whole thing on the ground, I would like to replace any parts that are worn or worn out. With that being said, I don’t know the wear patterns or how long with proper maintenance certain parts that are half worn out will last. I guess I just want to do it right the first time.
This is my first forum to be apart of, so if I need to open a new topic just let me know.
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well i will say that one's better than a lot of them I see. That's good for you. If you take that square head very short bolt out, stick a long rod down the neckpipe and knock out that bushing. You might want to replace it anyway. You can repair the neckpipe where it goes thru the tower cap. I have done that before, even adding some extra metal to take up extra space in the tower top. You probably can take the tower top off and maybe fix the inside of it so it's not quite as egged. There is usually a grease cup screwed to the tower cap for lube, to keep it from wallowing out. Of course you can see how good that worked out in the past. lol

The ballcup ( turntable cup) under the storm stay ...look at it really close. If it's the original, it's been up there trapping water and rusting since at least 1939, so replace it if any part of it looks thin. The bottom of these break out, and the head comes slamming down on the tower breaking pull-in hardware and such.

There are several things to look at when it all comes apart. If you have problems getting things apart, let me know, don't start banging around with hammers. There are a few tricks.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Gunner
Welcome to the forum. Glad you saved the windmills from the family farm. Looks like you have a new hobby. Take care and stay safe. I guess if it was me and as far as that pipe goes I wouldn't build it up I would get a new piece even if I had to go to a machine shop to get the right size. Unless you can weld it up yourself and turn it down yourself it will probably be cheaper to replace.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Gunner, As you go along with progress you might move to the projects thread.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

There is a guy that sells new bearing races for that mill.I don't have his contact information, but someone should have it. The original ones were hardened, so welding them up and turning them down would not last long. If you can get the mast pipe out, it can be replace with a regular 2 inch pipe.The half brass bushings can;t be bought. You have to buy a round bushing and split it down the middle. One round bearing will make both of the half bushings. Bushings at McMaster Car are called "bearings" The thing about the W monitors is that everything can be built up and turned down or replaced with standard size stuff.I have a Monitor B that I overhauled in 96 and it runs 24/7 and all I have done is changed the oil. One other thing.If the half moon key that holds the pinion gear from turning needs to be replaced you will probably have to make it. I have tried several times to find one and I don"t think you can find a store bought one. if the front of the shaft hole is worn you can contact me and I can tell you how to fix it.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418