Baker Monitor 8 foot

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
mikeb

Baker Monitor 8 foot

Post by mikeb »

Hi, I'm Mike from Arizona, new member. We have an old (30's) Baker Monitor that we bought and erected on our property. My friend erected the 32' tower, and I climbed up a ladder to guide the motor in which was lifted on a crane, that a neighbor had rented for some home construction. The old platform was rotted away.
None of us knew what we were doing, luckily no one got hurt. I did use a safety harness.
It was kind of a hurry-up job unfortunately, and now I want to take the motor down to do some repair and tune up like making sure the oil passages are clear, straightening the fan, fixing the tail linkage and etc. I've already found a lot of info diagrams and pictures on gin poles here on this forum, thank you all for those.
I also need to make a new platform and would appreciate suggestions on wood type, thickness and width. I can get 1x12 oak or 2x12 pine, what sounds good?
rockingjl

Re: Baker Monitor 8 foot

Post by rockingjl »

Hey Mike from Arizona. Welcome to the forum. I am on the west side near the 101 & W Camelback Rd. I have a Baker Monitor Platform that you can look at for measurements or borrow to copy. Message me for my info if you want
Terrywerm

Post by Terrywerm »

Welcome aboard, Mike! Your mill looks nice standing against the sky. You are off to a great start!
Terry
Jordan, MN
Home of 4600 nice folks and one grouch!
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Mike welcome to the forum.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Hey Mike. Glad you are here!

About your Monitor.....They went to the vertical tail, and the top of the tower mount in 1940-41. Altho it's still old, I don't think it was made in the 30's. Holler with questions.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Mike in answer to your question I have platforms made from 1 by and 2 by i prefer the 2 by 12 treated pine myself I try not to spend very much time only what's necessary on the towers lol
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Hey Mike from Arizona, any progress on your project