New Guy from Michigan

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
eagle4701

New Guy from Michigan

Post by eagle4701 »

Good Afternoon!

So glad to have found this group. I moved to a property around three years ago and have wanted to get the old windmill down and fixed up since I got here. I have finally gotten to renting a lift this coming Wednesday in an attempt to get our old mill down. I really enjoy working on old stuff but this will be a new one to me. I really hope that I am able to get it spinning again. Don't need any of the pump functions as the well has long been abandoned. It appears the head has flipped at some point and I am worry about it falling down. From the photos, it appears there is at least one broken part and I am not sure how hard it is to find parts for these. I have been told it is a F&W #12. Hopefully, if I am able to get it down, I can post more photos later in the week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: New Guy from Michigan

Post by windybob »

Welcome! Nice project! You don't see those at all in my part of the country. The clips that hold the sails on the wheel rims are a clue to the make and model, I think you are correct.

Be careful hooking on to it, and removing it from the tower. Or even...taking the whole tower down with the mill on it, all at one time. Also you might check all around the ground for parts that have fallen off it, and are covered by dirt.

Keep us posted on the progress. Will be a really nice project!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Neat mill! Look forward to following your progress. Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're here!
PaulV
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

eagle4701 Welcome to the forum. Hope all goes good with the removal. I would sure take the mill down first if I could.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Old mother nature really did a number on that windmill. Several angry storms must have come through the area as time went by.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

I missed this post yesterday (but commented on FB). Direct stroke Star 15.

If you need pics of what that mast pipe should look like (busted piece that let it flip) and how it sits in the tower cap, let me know. I have a Star 12 in the shop on a stub tower and a Star 12 in "the pile".

If you were on the west side of the state ... I would drop buy.
Thanks,
Ed
Smax

Post by Smax »

Welcome to the group